Camping On the Beach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesolo

The wife and I like the ocean and are heading to Destin at the end of the month. I saw a picture here recently (I think from Betty???) with their motorhome literally feet from what I think was the ocean in Mexico. Since then, I have been on a mission to find a similar place in Florida, Mississippi or Alabama. I have seen Camping On the Gulf's website but I'm looking for something a little less cramped and less crowded...maybe a little less "commercial" looking if that makes sense. Does anyone know if there' s a place like that out there? Thanks and only 19 days til we hit the beach!!

Joe, Brenda and 3 Black Labs

Joe,

Let us know what you find - I was on a similar quest last year - wound up in Yellowstone instead.

I was going to suggest the Floridia State Parks along the panhandle until I saw the part about the three Labs - I think they're funny about pets but it could just be selected state parks.

Good luck

Having a lab of my own, who adores swimming, I'd love to know if you find a great place to camp on the beach where the hairy kids can also enjoy the water. Anyone  know of a great place for dog camping? Chickahominy Reservoir, near Burns, Oregon, is a good spot for camping close to the lake and letting the dogs go for a swim. No hookups but no trees to get in the way of satellite reception.

If you are going to the gulf coast, try Corpus Christy,Tx. We were camping for spring brake with the kids to Fulton Tx. You can camp along the beach side, and if you go to Padre Island they alow you to camp right on the beach.

Check the Florida state parks website for a list of state parks that allow pets - some do not.  And even then they may not be allowed in the water where people swim too.  And the Gulf Islands National Seashore outside of Pensacola allows pets in the park but not on the beaches, so that's out.

Beverly Beach Camptown RV Resort just north of Flagler Beach (between Daytona and St Augustine). You can back right up to the seawall and dogs are allowed on the beach (on a leash). Ocean front sites are popular so make reservations. Ain't cheap though.

We just got back from spending a week at 'Camping on the Gulf' down in Destin. I really liked the fact that you didn't have to cross the road to get to the beach - it was literally 100' from my door. The beachfront hook-ups were very close together as a result of the business trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out of their prime parking areas but most spots were just as spacious as any other RV parks we have been to. The cost is a little high and the vegetation a bit sparse but the location, bathrooms, and friendly staff more than made up for it. It was nice to get up from the dinner table and, after a short walk, watch the sun set over the water. We're talking about going back next year....

Bonita Springs Fl. has a doggie beach just across the bridge. A short drive but well worth it. Tides clean the beach twice a day and dogs are free to roam. One way in and out.

Jake loves it !!!

Galveston has a couple of RV parks right on the beach plus Galveston State Park.  Of course, Galveston's beach can't compare to the Florida panhandle... stupid Mississippi River silt.

Oh, and the dogs are allowed as long as they are leashed.

St. George Island Florida. A google search will reveal all you need.

We spent a few days there, it is very nice.

Zehring said:
St. George Island Florida. A google search will reveal all you need.

We spent a few days there, it is very nice.
I was just there last month. He is right, it is really nice.

Wendy, I know you and Mike frequent the Las Vegas area from time to time, lake Mead has a lot of beach area that can be accessed for boondocking , one can park right at the waters edge and the dog can run loose.>>>Dan

utahclaimjumper said:
Wendy, I know you and Mike frequent the Las Vegas area from time to time, lake Mead has a lot of beach area that can be accessed for boondocking , one can park right at the waters edge and the dog can run loose.>>>Dan

We have done boondocking at Lake Mead. I have not-so-fond memories of Governor's Wash....the spot we were camped was fabulous but it's the place where our lab, Gordon, had his first seizure. No phone service, didn't know what was going on with the dog, I was freaking out. Maybe we'll go back there this winter after Death valley now that the hairy kid is on meds and seems to be in good shape. He certainly enjoys places where he can swim.

Thanks
Wendy

We just returned from a long weekend trip to Myrtle Beach, SC.  We stayed from last Wed. through Sunday at Ocean Lakes Campground. We enjoyed the beach, festivities at the campground included Trick or Treating, costume contest for people and pets, looking at the way other camper's fixed up their site with halloween decorations, and it is always nice to be able to interact and meet other campers. Now I'm ready to go somewhere else like the mountains. :)

We have stayed at the Red Coconut on Fort Myers beach for 2 years now.  It is a great place...cramped spaces...but you are literally right "on the beach."  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom