Camping World problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith Haw

Hello everyone.  I hate to come on here and complain about a vendor but didn't know anyone else to ask..
What happen was I left my MH at Camping World in Tucson, Az to have a set of house batteries installed, it only had 1 when I bought it.  They did a great job with the install but being a truck drive I couldn't pick it up for about 3 weeks after it was ready. Camping World told me it would be safe and no problem.. Well I went to pick it up last Friday and found that my right mirror housing was broken and the mirror was leaning against the right window. They fixed the mirror so "it will work" but told me any cosmetic repairs are my problem. I fell that they should be responsible for all repairs being it was in there hands the whole time. Am I right or being nit-pickie?
Keith

They worked on your rig, and got paid money.  They are responsible unless you signed an agreement that they were not. 

It's called Care and Custody and they are responsible unless, as Carl says, you signed something to the contrary.  Even that might be questionable.

I'd put some pressure on the manager and call Bowling Green ( corp. head quarters).  That really doesn't sound like Camping World Policy.  Any work I've had done they went above and beyond.  Before I paid, they asked if I was happy and explained every item on the invoice.
Joe

Everyone is forgetting that you're dealing with Beaudry RV if you're at CW in Tucson.

We bought our MH from them and it had a steering problem when we picked it up. Took it to Beaudry THREE times to have it fixed and they swore to me every time that it was fixed. Finally took it to Massey's and they fixed it the first time in about 45 minutes. I don't believe they could fix anything without messing something else up.

Devils Advocate here;
Most workorders which are signed upon arrival of dropping vehicle off for service work have a spot to be signed by customer which releases the facility from any responsibility.
However if the work order / repair order went unsigned the customer may have a leg to stand on.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Everyone is forgetting that you're dealing with Beaudry RV if you're at CW in Tucson.

We bought our MH from them and it had a steering problem when we picked it up. Took it to Beaudry THREE times to have it fixed and they swore to me every time that it was fixed. Finally took it to Massey's and they fixed it the first time in about 45 minutes. I don't believe they could fix anything without messing something else up.

I know this does not fall within the letter of the law but Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong.  I allow you to work on something, I am trusting you to protect and treat my property like it was yours.  It is the ethical thing to do, just that simple.  Phil

Actually... Without knowing the law in the state where that happened (And I do not know the law there)

It may be that the facility does indeed have liability.

In many states signs and wavers to the effect "Leave at own risk" should be printed on roll tissue.

Cause they would be worth more as toilet paper

Well I wish I could come back with good news but that's not the case.. Called Boiling Green and all I got was "You need to talk to the general manager of that store". Well the general manager is the person that told me they wouldn't replace it. Guess I'll start on them again Monday.
Keith

General managers seem to want to scare off people by saying things like that, hoping you dont take it to the next level.

I would call an attorney and have them draft a letter with threat of litigation (seems like nowadays thats all these creeps understand). That should get all your problems solved.

No, do not call. ?You have done that already. ?Send a letter, stating the damage, giving your shop's estimate for repairs, and asserting their liablity for the damage. ?Be polite but firm. ?Request a response by some reasonable date - say a week or two. ?Send it certified return reciept requested. ? And then read up on your state's small claims procedures and get ready to go to court and file a suit as the next step.

They'll probably say that they did you a favor by allowing you to to store it there until you could pick it up, but on the other hand, the damage didn't result because it was sitting there. It was damaged because someone whacked it on something when moving it (like the side of the garage bay door), or it was hit by a nearby vehicle, which only they could have moved there if it was in their compound. If it was out on their public unsecured lot, anyone could have hit it.

The unfortunate part is that it will probably cost you more to fight about it than to buy a new mirror. Around here, it costs about $40.00 to go to the local magistrate and take your chances.  Read your work order that you signed.  It probably has a disclaimer on it.  Going against that in court probably wouldn't be successful, except that many garages have you sign the sheet when you pick up the vehicle instead off when you drop it off.

I'd notify the store manager in writing and copy it to their home office.  Maybe it will dawn on someone that it doesn't benefit them to not do the right thing for a customer who obviously might have a need to do future business with them. Buying you a mirror isn't going to run them out of business.

I would talk to my insurance company, at this point. (I am assuming your mirror is somewhat like mine. I could be quite costly. I'd ask if it qualified as "Vandalism."

I can't imagine the General Manager putting you off. I wonder if he has any idea what this does to my prospects of shopping there, in the future. If that happened to me, I would be seeing red, and glowing red. I like to feel my stuff is safe, when I leave it to be repaired.

Several good responses here. Like Carl, I wouldn't call again. As he says, you did that, already. As John sez, most states don't permit liability waivers for repair shops. YMMV.

Ray D

>>Everyone is forgetting that you're dealing with Beaudry RV if you're at CW in Tucson<<

Not necessarily, CW just rents space from various RV dealers to locate in their space I believe. At the CW location in Elkhart IN the dealer has repair bays and CW has different ones. Even their overnight lots are different.

Woody

Again Devils Advocate (don't hate me)
Not knowing what the lot is like, but based on what some local lots here are like, any person / persons owning a truck trailer or camper can drive through the lot and cause such damage.
Having been told it will be safe I can understand your frustration. But take a step back and put yourself in the owner of the business position. If 10 people drop off there coaches a day and one of those persons whacks someone Else's coach (by accident) does that make the owner/ business liable? ? IE... If you park at walmart or any other large parking lot and someone hits you and drives away does that make the store owner responsible. No the answer is No. ?You and you alone are responsible and that is why we all pay a bundle yearly for INSURANCE> ? ?use your insurance and stop losing sleep over an accident that no one was hurt with.
I'm sure I will not gain any friends with this post and I am tempted to delete it before posting it just to save face. ?to delete or not to delete..... that is the question. ?
Ah what the heyyyy...freedom of speech and all ? ;)

rubysam:

As a matter of fact that is exactly my opinion as well. We had aircraft stored on our ramp and if weather, or aircraft and vehicles operated by someone other than our employees werfe damaged our insurance company would not pay for repairs because we were not considered responsible.

The damage had to caused by our actions or negligence to be considered falling under "Custody and Control". I'm not sure having the RV parked in their lot would fall under that definition.

Keith:

As someone else suggested, your insurance company will know who should be held legally responsible.

Thanks for all the replies.

rubysam, your right and that's part of the reason I posted here.  Truth is I don't know if there shop or another shopper did the damage.

I'm back in town now so I'll talk with the manager again tomorrow in person and if all else fails take the loss and repair it myself. To go to court, even small claims, will cost me more in loss revenue that the mirror is worth.

Thanks again to everyone.
Keith

Jeff Cousins said:
rubysam:

As a matter of fact that is exactly my opinion as well. We had aircraft stored on our ramp and if weather, or aircraft and vehicles operated by someone other than our employees or insurance company would not pay for repairs because we were not considered responsible.

This has nothing to do with the topic but you reminded me of a story.

Pilot calls his insurance company to file a claim:

"A telephone pole hit my helicopter"

(Agent) Say what?

"A telephone pole hit my helicopter"

Well, you can more or less imagine what the conservation was like from there... However what the pilot said was exactly true.

I should point out that at the time the pole hit the 'copter the 'copter was tied down, in the hanger, on the ground, shut down, and secured.  The pole was shoring up the hanger roof while repairmen were working on it and a ground swell caused the roof to lift just enough to free the pole and TIMBER... The 'copter was in the way as it fell.

So a telephone pole really and truly hit the non-moving 'copter

WOW! sounds as if you ran into a bad apple.  I've had my past Jay-co and now my new Durango in their shop several times for service and never had a problem.  They've always gone out of their way from the shop personnel to their front office. 
Hope you get this solved to your satisfaction.

Back
Top Bottom