Campsite Restrictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven UK

Just reading through some of the various posts because when it comes to RV'ing (and everything else) I don't know what I don't know... I'm planning to get a 36' ish Class A camper and live in it in MN/IA during the summer (Spirit Lake area). Then head South during the winter and travel around. I plan to Boondock a lot but i want to go into RV parks sometimes. Are there any restrictions that would stop me doing this? I'm thinking age of RV primarily but is there anything else I need to watch out for. I did briefly toy with the idea of a skoolie but that idea has since evaporated... too much work. But I did hear that most campsites don't like them.
Regards Steven

Whatever unit you get, if it is looking good and is functional there are very few places that will go past asking that. I have been to campgrounds that have a ten year old rule but they had an antique Scotty trailer club meeting there.
You are right about the schoolies. More and more campgrounds are putting "No Schoolies" in their rules and when you get out there in your rig you will encounter some of them and you will see why. I have seen a small number of excellent conversions but most look like a high school shop class project.

Whatever unit you get, if it is looking good and is functional there are very few places that will go past asking that. I have been to campgrounds that have a ten year old rule but they had an antique Scotty trailer club meeting there.
You are right about the schoolies. More and more campgrounds are putting "No Schoolies" in their rules and when you get out there in your rig you will encounter some of them and you will see why. I have seen a small number of excellent conversions but most look like a high school shop class.

None of the State Parks or NP's in this region ( Tx, Ok, Ark, La), as far as I'm aware, care what you camp in. I know I don't, my business begins and ends at my campsite. I suspect those restrictions largely apply to private parks.

It’s pretty rare for parks to have such restrictions.

Rosie turned 11 this year and looks pretty great. I think we’ve only stayed one time at a park that imposed a ten year age restriction (Hilton Head). We keep Rosie washed and waxed and as long as she looks like she does, if we ever stay at one again, Rosie’s model year will become the current year minus 10–yes, I’ll lie… I don’t want to go through any exception application process sending in pictures and such. If we get there and ask to see the registration, I’ll show them. I’m sure they won’t turn us away once the see Rosie in person.

Thanks Guys... I now have a feel for what to expect. My coach will be in the 20-30 year range as it fits my budget but it will be tidy and well kept.
Regards Steven

The 10 year rule does exist, though at least in the places I have traveled from Louisiana I have rarely ran into it (Arizona, Utah and Wyoming to the west, Florida to Tennessee to the east and just about all the states in between in something close to 200 nights on the road over the last 6+ years.

I think in all that travel I have ran across it a total of 3 times when scouting out potential overnight stops, one in Texas, one in Arizona, and one in Wyoming.

Back
Top Bottom