Can a 65 yo woman hit the road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deb&RickTX

This looks like a friendly, helpful place! About me: I hope to retire in a couple of years, and would love to travel some of this country while I still can. My husband might come on some trips, but I'd also like to be able to go by myself. If it's feasible at all, I'm thinking a smaller Class C is my best fit. Please check my reasoning. I need to be small and nimble enough to pull off and see things, from roadside stands to National Park pull-outs. But I'm old, so I want a dry bath and a bed I don't have to assemble every night. I'm a careful but somewhat tentative driver - white knuckles if I get stuck in my minivan between a concrete barrier and a semi.

A trailer would be a cheaper way to try the lifestyle. Several BUTs: I'd have to buy an vehicle to pull it. My spatial awareness isn't great, so hitching and backing would be tough. There's that white-knuckle driving thing. And I'm in Texas, so it would be an oven when I stop.

What do you think?

I think what you are doing is very possible, and over the years I have met a number of women doing such things. I met one woman who was parked next to me at an RV rally a few years ago that was retired from I think the Maryland DMV who was traveling solo in a 24-25 ft class B+ (Phoenix Cruiser I think) with an e-bike for transportation, who had a husband and a class A diesel pusher motorhome back home

No question that RV travel is possible for women alone much older than 65 but the real question is if you are one of them. In many years of RV travel (12 of them full-time) I have only met 1 woman who was married but traveled without her husband successfully and that lady only did so winters for 3 years. The most important thing is your marriage relationship. Only you can answer that part so discuss it in detail with your husband. Shorter trips along should be possible. I too live in TX and if you with to use the RV in the summer here you will need to have an onboard generator or stay in RV parks with full hookups to use the air conditioner.

Based upon what you tell us, I tend to agree that a class C or possibly one of the van conversions would probably be best for you. I very much agree that you will not like a wet-bath. As part of your research, I suggest that you also look into RV parks as they can be a challenge in some areas and the cost of them is rising. Spend some time with campground reviews to check out the areas that you plan to visit. If you have not done so, spend some time just looking at the possible choices of RV that may work for what you wish to do and get a feel for what they will cost. You are wise to start your research early and perhaps if your husband goes along he may wish to join you in your travels. Both my wife and I consider our 12 years of full-time RV life to be some of the very best years that we have experienced.

Great advice! A bit of explanation is in order. I already travel a lot of weekends by myself, showing dogs. (and have stayed in more Motel 6s than I care to remember) Initially, we will have too many animals at home for both of us to be gone for any length of time. As our zoo decreases, we'll see what the future holds. My dream is for both of us to be able to make extended trips. My shorter-term vision is just getting started and seeing how we like it.

Can a 65 year old woman hit the road.. YES. But You should not hit things that hard as it will HURT... OH. you mean travel....
No reason you can't. At 65 I was living on the road.. did that till 70 then moved into an apartment but not for disability reasons.. (Motor home got damaged by a semi. I was parked at the time).
I will say however this.. I know many people much younger than I per their driver's license. who are much OLDER than I physically and a few the other way around (They look younger but in fact are older)... I know many my age who can barely make it to the store to go shopping... Some who can't. And others who still run marathons...
Since I do not know you I don't know if you are up to it or not. YOU have to make that decision.

Heck there are people younger than I who will never make it to my age.
True story.. Thursday I went to a retirement ceremony (The official one) for a former co-worker. (I retired 20 years ago come Halloween and have not seen her since) she looked.... Like I recall.. minor difference in hair do is all.
Well some other co-workers came up from Detroit and one gentelman.. Same as the retiree. he looks much like he did 20 years ago.. A woman I did not recoginize.. She has changed (And not for the better physically) Still the same personality (Very nice) from what I can tell other than a bit of PTSD (I knew there was a reason I got outta there) but she's physically much different.. I'm not sure she will make it to my age.
I do know why one changed and one did not... But.... That's a topic I'd rather not discuss.

We’ve seen many women RVing alone on our travels. I talked with one woman in Arkansas that said her husband pulls her TT to the CG, sets it up and then goes back home. She drives her car and when she’s ready to leave he comes , breaks camp and tows the trailer home.

Ah yes, John From Detroit. Age is but a number. My husband went to his 50 year HS reunion last year, and didn't recognize a lot of those old people :) . I'd say I'm 65 going on 55-60. I'm in good health and more fit than many my age. But physical strength and getting up and down off the ground too many times can be an issue.

We’ve seen many women RVing alone on our travels. I talked with one woman in Arkansas that said her husband pulls her TT to the CG, sets it up and then goes back home. She drives her car and when she’s ready to leave he comes , breaks camp and tows the trailer home.
Now THAT is an interesting relationship!

I might add that JudyJB, a frequent contributor to this forum, is definitely older than 65 and has traveled alone in a class C for several years, so it's definitely doable.

The one thing to impact your RVing that stood out to me in your initial post is: "I'm a careful but somewhat tentative driver - white knuckles if I get stuck in my minivan between a concrete barrier and a semi."

It'll be a tad tighter in a class C, and it's not obvious from the driver's seat view about that extra width, so you have to use your mirrors well and keep a mental awareness constantly of the extra space you require and the extra height you have. So you may want to rent a class C for a weekend to experience this for yourself.

After that consideration, the next thing is condition of a potential purchase (get it inspected) and floor plan, floor plan, floor plan, meaning that if the floor plan bothers you, it'll soon become a chore to camp instead of a pleasure.

I don't know how long both you and your husband can be gone from home, or if you have anyone to take care of the animals, etc., but at some point you might want to try what my wife and I sometimes do with larger trips. I am mostly retired, and she still works full time at as an administrator at a local government job where she gets ample vacation time (over 30 vacation days per year), but is often unable to take it due to fixed dates where she must be at work, ie she can never take off on the first Tuesday of a month, etc. So on our longer multi thousand mile trips to places like Yellowstone, or the Grand Canyon, I will usually drive one or both ways solo seeing sights along the way, and my wife will fly to/from some point along the way, being along for perhaps 14-15 days on a 30 day trip.

It's weird being the same age as old people.....

We have several lady friends older than 65 traveling around the country...go for it.

Are you a member of the Elks? They have RV spots at lodges all over the country. It's nice because you can go in their lodge and meet local people who know the area. If you are having a problem they know who to call.
Where are you located in Texas? There may be an Elks Lodge nearby.

I can echo from our travels that single women on the road is a thing! You would not be alone, at least out here on the West Coast, we see them all the time. My husband and I also have a good friend in her 50's, and she also wants to hit the road on her own. She's been checking out a lot of RV's - just like mentioned above, smaller C's and B+ rigs.

Wow, lots of helpful people with great advice here! I'm glad I'm starting my research early. I can already tell floorplan is critical. (Just how DO you get into some of those beds? :) ) I've already been to a local dealership to see how some layouts look in person versus the photos and plan. I see a big RV show is in Dallas in September, so that's on the agenda as well. Meanwhile I'll do a LOT of reading on these forums.

Just how DO you get into some of those beds?
When I got back from England and retired we purchased a small TT. There was a small opening to get into the bed and it was kinda high off the floor. It was okay at first but within 5 years I had both knees replaced and neither turned out well. I couldn’t get in the bed any longer. I ended up sleeping in the bed made from the dining table. Another thing about beds; if it’s not a walk around bed you will cuss every time you have to make it.

If you plan on traveling solo, look into RVing Women. They have a website and a FB page, and they can provide you good advice too. The biggest advantage is they have meet ups often with chapters all over the country.

Don't be afraid to look into getting a Class A. I was looking for an RV I - a complete RV novice - would do well in. Got a class c at first & the pedals were extremely awkward to get to & drive with. My mentor took me to see a class A & voila! It was a perfect fit as the pedals are actually a lot closer to you in a class A. How 'bout that!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom