Can Chevy Express 3500 Van pull Trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ambers

We just purchased for pulling, however everything or everyone says it will make it more difficult. Is this true??

Pulling what? Blogger RVSue pulled a small Scamp fiberglass trailer for years with her Chevy van. What year and what engine do you have in the van? Makes a big difference in what you can tow.

Sorry, should have included. we are still looking, I want to make sure what we purchase, will work. We are looking at two different ones travel trailers 2019 and 24ft. We keep the dry weight under 4500lbs.

Ours is a 2019 Chevy 3500 and the engine I think is 5.5. Not sure, I know it can pull the weight, but the BIG question is driving with a VAN vs. TRUCK. We have heard from about a dozen ppl saying that pulling with a van is a big mistake due to the aero dynamics between vehicles?

Aerodynamics aren't an issue, if anything they're better than a pickup truck with an open bed towing a trailer. The problem is the driving position is further forward than a conventional car or truck. Basically you're sitting almost directly over the front wheels, making it somewhat harder to sense what's going on with the back of the van and the trailer.

This isn't insurmountable and many people successfully tow with vans. It's just something to be aware of while you're towing.

Aerodynamics aren't an issue, if anything they're better than a pickup truck with an open bed towing a trailer. The problem is the driving position is further forward than a conventional car or truck. Basically you're sitting almost directly over the front wheels, making it somewhat harder to sense what's going on with the back of the van and the trailer.

This isn't insurmountable and many people successfully tow with vans. It's just something to be aware of while you're towing.
Thank you Lou

Since 28' Class C RVs were built on the Chevy 3500 van chassis I'd say you can tow a trailer with it.

I recently sold my 1/2ton Yukon XL replaced with an e350 1ton Ford Van and just towed my 24' boat 300 miles round trip. I have yet towed my 28' travel trailer.
As mentioned, you'll have to adjust your driving habits especially turning due to sitting closer to the front of the van. Just keep an eye on the side mirrors so you clear the curbs or any obstacles.

The 1 ton van is a harsher ride than the Yukon but its a great TV for the boat and there's plenty of room for the wife's "stuff" that won't fit in the trailer when we're headed out to camp . It's also great for the Home Depot runs.

Attachments

• IMG_4716.jpg
    IMG_4716.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4717.jpg
    IMG_4717.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 5
Full-size vans like the Express 3500 make excellent tow vehicles, assuming the trailer is within the van's towing capability. You need to consider the van's max tow rating and its cargo (payload) capacity and make sure the trailer you choose is within those specs. Trailer tongue weight becomes part of the van cargo and of course the van has to pull and stop the entire trailer weight (trailer GVWR).

Ignore the trailer dry weight - it just confuses things. Use the trailer GVWR as its estimated max weight. If you end up not loading to the maximum, you are just that much better off. Better to overestimate trailer weight than to underestimate.

We have heard from about a dozen ppl saying that pulling with a van is a big mistake due to the aero dynamics between vehicles?

Who are these people? :unsure: If anything, I'd thing the aerodynamics would actually be BETTER between a van and trailer, as they have the same boxy shape and perhaps less air interruption from the tow vehicle to the trailer.

Either way, there isn't much that can be done to improve aerodynamics of pulling a big, mostly empty box down the highway... regardless of what's pulling it. ;) As Gary stated, 1-ton vans make good tow vehicles as long as you understand what the van is capable of towing (including any limitations of the hitch that might affect tongue weight capacity). My sister and brother-in-law have 6 homeschooled kids, so they are a "van family" in every respect. They have towed two different travel trailers (in the 30' range) with both Ford E-350 and Chevy Express 3500 vans, with no problems.

Gary is spot on. The van is awesome for towing and they have great payloads, they are just not visually that appealing. But if it suits your lifestyle go for it enjoy.

You will need mirrors that are wide enough, either add on, or possibly full replacement. A firm called KSource is the OEM for many or most car manufacturers and they also sell aftermarket, might be a place to start looking if needed.

As far as engines, the 2019 came with 4.3L or 6.0L Gas or 2.8L Diesel. I'll bet it is the 6.0 and that is a very good engine for towing, and should easily handle the weight in the size range you are looking at. Note that the LWB models have the same GVWR as the short wheelbase models, so they do not have as high a payload.

If it does not have a receiver hitch, get it equipped with a good one rated for the max tow rating of the vehicle.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom