Can deer swim???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FX

This weekend I went to New Melones lake to try the fishing.  As I was cruising around in the boat, I passed one of the islands which was about 3-4 acres in size with the current water level.  I was amazed to see 5 deer on the island.  There were no trees or bushes, just dead weeds and rocks.  These deer had no shade, no food, no nothing.  With water between this island and main land being over 200 feet deep, I doubt the water is ever low enough to where there is no water between the the two, and the deer could just walk there.
Can deer swim?
I figure they must be able to because there is no way they could live there.  But why would they swim all the way out there to stand on a little island with nothing on it.

FX,
Deer are usually very good swimmers. As to why they are there, who knows. Why would anyone sell their house and live in some tiny little box and just go out in the woods somewhere? Everyone has some reason that may or may not make sense. Did you notice that there were no predators on the island. Most of them can swim but really don't like to.
Q

So how was the fishing at New Melones? Did you take the boat?

Haven't been there for years; They had just filled the new lake at that time. IIRC there was a nice Army Corps Of Engineers campground there.

Can deer swim?

Yup.  A lot of critters can.  Cattle for instance swim well enough so that they are routinely hearded across rivers and straits between mainlands and islands.

I have seen one of my dogs, who had never been in water before, instantly learn how to swim after trying to run across Rock Creek in the Sierra Nevada.  Did pretty good too... for a dog paddler. 

FX said:
This weekend I went to New Melones lake to try the fishing.  As I was cruising around in the boat, I passed one of the islands which was about 3-4 acres in size with the current water level.  I was amazed to see 5 deer on the island. 

Deer, Cows, Goats, Dogs, Cats, Sheep, ALL animals can swim.  The only animal that can not swim without instruction is the HUMAN

Babiy Humans can also swim but haven't the strength to keep a-float.  (Like all the other animals listed above they will do the dog paddle by instinct) however by the time they get strong enough to keep a-float then they are intelegent enough to know "OH MY I CAN NOT SWIM" and that gets in the way of their dog-paddeling.

But just about every anaial on the planet can swim... So, if that is the case, why do rats drown?

Well... There is a limit to endurance and once you pass that point, even if you are the world's greatest land dwelling swimmer,,, You gonna sink.    But all animals can swim

OK that's a new one for me.  So deer can swim.

Tom- Yeah, I took the boat.  I keep it stored at my property in Jamestown so it's not a bad drive from there to Melones.
How was the fishing?  Touchy subject!  Not even a bite. 

FX

Were you trolling? Did you use downriggers? If so, what was the verdict on the weight?

Back
Top Bottom