Can I convert my tub to a walk in shower?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColleenFay

We have a 2011 Springdale 27 ft travel trailer with a tub we’d like to convert into a walk-in shower with doors. Area is somewhat small… Can this be done? If so any advise or YouTube videos to recommend? If you’ve done this are you willing to share pics?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 9
Depends. Usually the drain P trap is under the tub. If you wanted a true walk in shower, that would put your plumbing below the floor.

The only problem I see is the shower head will be raised above your head,, but it doesn't have to be within the wall. It can be surfaced mounted as well,, the drain doesn't care where it's located as long as the slope is correct..>>>Dan

I've never done an RV bathroom but I've done ones in my homes, along with other home renovations so this would be my perspective- scorched earth. Do a complete tearout, then rebuild it into exactly what you want. Sounds horrific and unnecessary but from experience you're not going to surgically remove and install just a new shower without a lot of tedious work and frustration. The fixtures in an RV are low grade and hard to justify going through any measure to preserve them. Take lots of measurements, come up with the new layout and materials, line up any custom cabinetry or carpentry you may want and just go for it. It will turn out way better, and it doesn't have to be very expensive if you don't want it to be. The work will be straightforward, standard demo and installation techniques which will go much more quickly and easily. You can deal with the analysis paralysis of the shower surgery if you want but there is NO WAY I would approach this any other way than a complete renovation.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Depends. Usually the drain P trap is under the tub. If you wanted a true walk in shower, that would put your plumbing below the floor.
Don’t need a P trap. I can’t think of the name of it right now but it comes out of the shower and makes a 90* turn and runs horizontally to you plumbing drain. Needs very little space between the floor and the bottom of the shower.

Update: I just Googled it and it’s called a HepvO RV waterless trap.

That will be a miserable job at best. RV's are assembled from the inside out. the cabinets are mounted to the bare floor then the walls are put up and the roof last. I removed the queen bed from our fiver to repair water damage, never again.

Right now if my grey water tank fills up and I pull the plug on the kitchen sink it backs up into my tub. With a walk in shower if the grey water tank overflows won't it spill all over your floors?

An RV shower/tub weighs very little but if you build a tiled shower like in a home you will add a bunch of weight. (hardboard, tiles, grout etc)

Just a couple of points to consider. I wouldn't bother but do what makes you happy.

Why don't you just replace the faucets with one with a shower hose and add a hanger on the wall? Add doors and cover walls with a tub surround as needed.

Ernie

There are a number of RV-sized shower kits you can find or plenty of videos on YouTube on how to make a shower, some more "upscale" than others. I'd probably go with the RV shower kit for a few hundred bucks versus building one.

There are a number of RV-sized shower kits you can find or plenty of videos on YouTube on how to make a shower, some more "upscale" than others. I'd probably go with the RV shower kit for a few hundred bucks versus building one.
Just so you know, this post is one year old and the OP hasn’t been back since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom