Can I get my TT into my driveway?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camerong

So we have a Forest River 273QBXL on order from the factory. 33' 5" overall length. Vehicle is a NV3500 van.

We have a long driveway on the side of our house which is wide enough to fit the TT and still leave an aisle, but I am concerned about my ability to get it into the driveway in the first place. With a door on the right side, I really need to pull the TT in, so that the door faces the house. If I back it in, I would have to get it very close to the house, which would be a challenge with dryer vents and a few things sticking out. But there is no alley behind the house, so if I pull in, my van will be stuck, unable to leave because of the trailer. I have thought about using a motorized trailer dolly to pull it in?

Either way, I am concerned about the ability to make the turn, whether pulling in with a motorized trailer dolly, or backing it in with the van. Any idea whether we will be able to make this turn? Paved driveway is 11-13' wide (it is asphalt so it is not a clean edge), but I can pull off onto the side of the driveway a few feet if necessary. Once the driveway is equal with the house, it is 14' wide, and the extra area is gravel. The street is 25' wide. I can ask neighbors to move cars that park on the street.

Any way to make this work? If not, we will just have to get RV storage nearby, which can work, but obviously will be less convenient when packing (we have 6 kids, so that will not be a quick task). Below is a picture of our driveway--ours is the gray house on the left. Thanks for any thoughts!

1623339962587.png

How much experience do you have backing in long trailers with a long van in a narrow driveway?

Your going to have issues backing in because of how narrow the entrance is to your driveway. You will be going over the curbs for sure. I would build some type of tapered planking to put in front of the curb. Something like a 2 X 10, then on top of that a 2 X 6 then on top of that a 2 X 4. Otherwise, you may end up with pinched tires, bent wheels or bent axle. And if there is anyone parked in the road on either side, you’re going to have to ask them to move. And what do you do if they’re not home. Good luck.

Will be a tight fit. You might slither it in after you get better at backing it. It also depends how well your spotter gives instructions. Mine is not so good, I do better by myself. If you park it a a RV lot, just pick it up the day before and park it attached in front of the house if possible.

Why is it so important to have the door face the house?
Because if the door faces away from the house, the RV will have to be pushed up against the house rather than the fence, but I have things sticking out from the house--spigot, hose reel, dryer vent--and I can't get it right up against the house as well. I thought about getting a toy hauler for this reason, so I could just open up the end of the trailer and not worry about which side the door was on, but it didn't meet our other needs.

I do not have a lot of experience with this large of trailer. I am planning spending a day in a parking lot with cones to work on it. I've used trailers before, but obviously this is a different beast.

Would a motorized dolly solve the problem? I could buy one for under $2k, and if that would save us having to pay storage, it wouldn't take long to pay for itself. Thanks everyone

Is that little tree on the left yours or you neighbors? It’s a little hard to tell fo sure but it looks like it may need to be trimmed back so it doesn’t rip your awning and scratch decals and siding.

You’ve got a lot of things working against you. I’ve got 40 plus years backing heavy equipment like a 5 ton army truck with a 30’ trailer attached, a hook and ladder fire truck, one 23’ TT and two fifth wheel trailers and I can tell you right now it would be a chore for me to get it in that driveway and beside the house. Now I’m only going by that picture so it may appear more difficult than what it actually is. All I can say is good luck.

It’s doable. I would take the little tree out along with the remaining stump. A slight miss calculation and you will hit the tree. I see the biggest problem being the cars parked on the road. One car parked in the wrong place and you‘re stuck. As for getting close to the house, if the fence is not on the property line maybe you could scoot it out a few feet, make the opening wider. Good luck.

Getting it in will be the easy part. And, that's not to say that it will be "Easy".
And that "Motorized Dolly" is probably your best shot.

That gutter dip could give you a challenge, too.

Last edited:
I too am thinking motorized dolly / tug will be your best bet. Just make sure to get one with enough power to make up the incline on the driveway, most of these trailer dollies are designed to move things around a mostly flat lot. I can't help wondering if you could buy a small older tractor for less money than a trailer dolly which could do the same sort of job.

I would say yes it would go but that slope could cause issues, i would be concerned about the rear overhang scraping as well as the hitch when you hit that low point in the curb

With the dip through the gutter on the edge of the street, it is going to take quite a power dolly to move that trailer and it will probably mean you will block the street for more than a few minutes taking it in and out. The only thing I find that may do the job is called a Trailer Valet RVR5.

Yeah, between the slope of the driveway, and the crown of the street, I think that dip at the curb is gonna be a show-stopper for a 33 ft TT.
But, I've been wrong, before.
A variation of Rene T's Planking suggestion might make it work.

Simply another case of jumping into a pool without looking for water first.. Folks have had to put the RV in a storage lot for less reasons..>>>Dan

Simply another case of jumping into a pool without looking for water first.. Folks have had to put the RV in a storage lot for less reasons..>>>Dan
Dont go there lol years ago we jumped the fence at a pool about 11pm striped down walked over to the pool about 6ft away noticed they had drained it. Looked over and a security gaurd was making his rounds lol boy oh boy did we move it me my best friend and our girl friends booking it butt naked and it was pouring rain lol

That is a cute little toy, however for use at home, something more like this would probably work and be cheaper Log into Facebook Generally larger garden tractors without working mowers sell cheap

How's about a front trailer hitch on your van so wouldn't be backing up? At any event, would a motorized dolly be strong enough to pull your 33' trailer?

I had a similar situation at my last house in Lake Havasu City.

I wanted to park my Stacker Trailer in a parking spot next to the house and I wanted to park it with the front of the trailer facing into the spot.

I had something that made it much easier for me. I had a "Trailer Toad", which is an
axle that fits between the trailer and the tow vehicle.

For simply pushing your trailer into the parking space you would not need an axle this large and you could use a fixed homemade axle and wheel assembly that would fit under the tongue of your trailer.

I also had an aftermarket front bumper on my Jeep that allowed me to attach a heavily padded 2 x 4 to use the jeep as a push vehicle.

Pull your trailer part way into your driveway so that you can disconnect and remove your tow vehicle from the drive. Make sure that it is lined up straight into the driveway.

Jack your trailer tongue up and attach the fixture under the tongue.

Use whatever vehicle that is available that can incorporate a padded cushion between it and the rear of the trailer bumper.

Attach a tow strap to the trailer so it will stop when you do.

Here are some pictures of my old method.

Attachments

• IMG_2390-3.JPG
    IMG_2390-3.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 17
  • r20180429_173634.jpg
    r20180429_173634.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20151013_110955.jpg
    20151013_110955.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 16
  • rfull098.jpg
    rfull098.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180429_173352.jpg
    20180429_173352.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 16
Whew, thanks everyone. It sounds like this could be a challenge for several reasons. There is RV parking for under $50 per month less than a mile from us, so I think I'll start with that and re-visit this question. Our plan is for less frequent, longer trips rather than weekly, so that will be an okay solution to start with. Then, if we decide we want to store it at our house, I'll look at planks and the other suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom