Can I just lie about how long our RV is??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Trying to book a site in a COE campground. In the info I enter that our coach is 33 feet long but when it shows the list of available sites and I pick one and try to check out, it says "30 foot max" and won't let me continue.

Of course you can't tell exactly from looking at the images, but it sure looks like 3 feet won't make that much difference. So if I just enter 30 feet as our length, will they run out with a tape when we check in and discover that I lied, call in the authorities, take us to jail, bring us up on felony charges... ??

Or, perhaps no one will even notice?

Sample pic of one of the sites:

Attachments

• site.jpg
    site.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 19
I've done it at a couple of state parks that I know have been remodeled with longer sites and the reservation system hasn't caught up with the changes. No one has ever asked me how long the motorhome actually is when I checked in. On one of the sites that's still listed as 30', I've seen a 40' motorhome on it with room to spare, and parking our 34' motorhome and toad on it was no problem.

Sometimes the length limits are not related to the actual site, but rather the access to the site. Narrow roads, trees, boulders, etc., can all be reasons for limiting RV sizes on given sites.

Our 32 foot Class C shrunk 7 feet every year so we could reserve our favorite site at a Rhode Island state park. The issue wasn’t the depth of the site, but access into the site. There were two trees that I missed by inches (one in the site, the other directly across the road) while backing in.

We’re more limited with our 38 foot Class A. I really miss that site!

So you can lie about it for those sites listed as 20' max?
That could be tough.

BTW, there have been a couple of RV parks that could only take me because my old RV is 25'. The only space they had left. A few different places and times, including the place I stayed in Ashland, OR just a few weeks ago. That kinda worries me with my new RV being around 5 feet longer, coupled with the fact I rarely make reservations.

I guess I will soon find out if there will be any such issues when I leave for Florida in a week or so.

-Don- Reno, NV

That could be tough.

BTW, there have been a couple of RV parks that could only take me because my old RV is 25'. The only space they had left. A few different places and times, including the place I stayed in Ashland, OR just a few weeks ago. That kinda worries me with my new RV being around 5 feet longer, coupled with the fact I rarely make reservations.

I guess I will soon find out if there will be any such issues when I leave for Florida in a week or so.

-Don- Reno, NV
Good luck!

It depends on the site. My 5er is listed as 44'6" from the rear to the pin. Problem is from the pin to the center of the nose cone is 2'7" which makes it 47'. Some campgrounds list spots at 60' but add in my truck 21' and im over, but others im not. It seems to be very subjective. Years ago i got my trailer into a 27ft spot but i had a 28ft trailer. They meant truck and trailer lol but i had a chevy with a 5'5" box 1/2 ton. Had i had a 6'6" std box 3/4 ton it wouldnt fit because of a tree. We pulled in to the campground and they were betting on us, yay or nay lol. We found out a couple days later. Odd werr against me lol. I also backed that same trailer into a spot that had 2 trees 1 on each side of the spot. Once past those trees the spot opened right up to open the slides, problem was there was 1 inch to spare between the trees and and the width of the trailer. Made it first time. But my hair is grayer

Its a dice roll if you will fit, take your chances, I doubt anyone will say anything about your length, very few public campgrounds do. Legend has it that Mather campground at the Grand Canyon which has a 30 ft limit used to have markings on the ground at check in, and measured, but those were gone and no one gave our 29'5" class A coach a second glance we were there in late 2019

Last edited:
Narrow roads, trees, boulders, etc., can all be reasons for limiting RV sizes on given sites.
Reminds me of the Shady Lane RV Park in Barstow. CA. I once had a spot in a corner in my old RV because it was just short enough so larger RVs could make the turn without me being in the way of what was left of the road.

-Don- Reno, NV

Mather campground at the Grand Canyon has a 30 foot rule and a pair of white stripes on the pavement where you check in that are 30 feet apart.

In the months of Feburary and March I often parked my 38' Class A on a site at a COE park that said "Max length 24' tents only" not only was there room for the class A but I could park my towed car eiteher behind, hooked up for quick departure (or still attached from parking) or in front for less walking from car to RV with groceries. and on another site that also had a "Short" rating there was room for two full size class A's end to end. So.

Yes you can lie but I'd recommend a drive through first with your own yard stick cause the one the COE uses seems to be off a bit.

In one campground we encountered, there were only 20’ sites left. Our TT is listed at 26’. The Ranger told us to drive in and see if we could fit, which we did. The site was deep enough but backing in added a few surface scratches to the truck……
Bottom line, tell them you’re 29’.

will they run out with a tape when we check in
The short answer to your questions is no, there isn't anyone who is going to measure your rig at a COE park, nor have I ever had that experience in any park of any kind, anywhere.

The lengths are posted for several reasons in public parks. In the majority of cases that length is the site length or the length of the pad. Since most RVs extend beyond the wheels at either end you are almost always able to hang the RV well beyond the back of the pad, but there could be a tree, a rock, or some other obstruction. Where the enforcement comes is that they will visit you if your RV is obstructing the roadway and sometimes if you tow or towed vehicle does. In such case you might have a problem.

Another reason for the length limits on sites is the width of the access roads, trees and obstructions, and other things that can make it difficult to get into the site and once more the issue is that you do not block the roadway at all and if you should damage your RV trying to get into the site the problem is all yours.

The third reason for site limits is sometimes the roads into the campground. I have seen many situations where the road to a campground may have tight turns with trees and rocks on either side such that an RV might be damaged by hitting them in the process of making the turns. If that should happen the expense is yours and you could be expected to pay for any damage to park trees, rocks, or other things.

In my years I have observed that the majority of RV owners are able to get safely into sites that are listed as smaller than the RV and keep the roads clear. Remember that those length listings are based on the ability of the least skilled RV drivers so the key may be in your ability to drive and park your RV. I am cautious about length restrictions when visiting a park that I am not familiar with in terrain that I am unfamiliar with. On the other hand, there are a couple of parks that I have stayed in with an RV that is several feet longer than the listing many times with no issues at all. Length restrictions are there to help you, not to penalize you. As long as you can use the site and not violate the park's rules the staff really don't care but if you should damage your RV because it is too long for the access listed, you will get no sympathy and little help from the park staff.

I've seen on some CG sites with specified lengths usually allow for an additional vehicle (toad/TV) which if you don't have one gives "extra" space for the camping equipment. A few years ago I had a reserved 22' space for my 30' class A and I was able to shoehorn it in, by backing in vs nosing in and angling just right between trees. I couldn't put my awning out but it was better than turning around and going back home. Camp host came by and commented I can't believe you got that in there. The only thing he cared about was that I wasn't sticking out into the road. So take the length restrictions with a grain of salt, they're either out of date, wrong or don't account for any axle overhang you may have. The only hard/fast rule I've seen enforced is tent-only sites.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

It seems that in today's world you can tell them that the coach self-identifies as "What ever" and to be PC, they will have to take that as word and maybe even invent new pronouns to cover it.
What can you call a teardrop that looks like a 5er??

Matt

Good practical advice from Mark, and a sound explanation from Kirk. The stated lengths are mostly always guidelines and intended to avoid worst-case scenarios. The net of it is that only experience will tell you whether you can "cheat" on length in a particular park.

There are a very, very few parks that will rigorously enforce length restrictions when you enter the park; based on their own experience they have good reason to prohibit long RVs from even entering. That's different than stating a size that a campground can accommodate. It's probably easier to list those few parks that will actually check length at the entrance than to try to explain all the others with length suggestions/recommendations/rules.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom