Can I "really" tow 3500# with a 05 Honda minivan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

perrothd

Hello all,
My name is Jay

I just bought a Aero/Kodiac Skamper K215 (Hybrid),? Dry weight is approx 3300lbs.. I am debating on trying to tow this with a 2005 Honda Odyssey.? It is rated for 3500lbs with their tow package.? I realise I'm pushing the weight factor.? The van has plenty of power (260hp) but it still worries me being front wheel drive and not a truck frame.? I wont be travelling more then 1.5 hours.? Has anyone tried this?

I have also been looking for a reasonably priced vehicle to tow with.? What I have found that I can afford at this time is either a 95-98 Cherokee with a six cylinder.? Honestly my van seems so much more powerfully.? Or a GMC Taho / Yukon.. I would prefer not the extra cost of another vehicle, maintenance, taxes etc..?

Any way any thoughts?? Thanks

Thanks,? any info would be helpfull

Ji Jay and welcome. I moved your message here to our Towing and Towables board since it might get more attention by our towing experts.

I am sure you can tow the trailer with the Honda but the real question is can you tow it legally and without jeopardizing the safety of you your family or others that might be on the road around you.  You got to take into consideration that everything you have loaded into the Honda and trailer has to be counted when figuring weights.  To be even a little over the GVWR or GCVWR can place you in serious liability issues if in an accident.

I'm sure those here that are up to date on towing will provide valid information.

It's not just moving the trailer down the road and up hills; your Honda has to keep it in a straight line and stop it as well. The tow rating takes all those things into account, as well as the long term effect on our vans components.

I'm guessing the Odyssey has a unit body rather than a frame - just about all minivans do. They aren't real rigid when subjected to external pulls and twists and that's one major reason the engineers do not rate them highly for towing.

I realise I'm pushing the weight factor.

You aren't pushing it - you are blowing it off the map.  Dry weight is almost always fictitious, since for most trailers it does not include commonly installed options, no propane in the tanks, and of course no gear or food onboard. On top of that, the tow rating of the van assumes nothing in the van except a 154 lb driver and a tank of fuel. No passengers or gear there either. Not even the weight of the trailer hitch. So your 3500 lbs tow capacity is more likely closer to 3000-3300 and your trailer weight is likely well above the 3300 liste din the sales brochure. Take it to a scale and see.

Thanks everyone for the great info...  It's amazing that every RV dealership I went had no problem putting me into that set up.  :mad:  Any thoughts on the 95-98 Cherokee 4x4 or a 95 Taho?

Thanks again !!

A Cherokee is an extremely rugged vehicle and that old 6 cylinder engine is a real stump puller, but I don't know what its tow rating is.  You  will have to do some searching online or maybe some older Cherokee owner can give you a clue about towing with it. 

I've towed boat and utility trailers with a 99 Cherokee and it doesn't even notice them, but they were not as heavy as  your Skamper.

Back
Top Bottom