Can I safely lubricate a heater blower motor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nm_shooter

Hi...

I have an aging Four Winds Trailer that has served us well.? It was made in '95, so systems are now starting to fail.? Just recently, the heater blower motor sort of squeals a little on start up, and then again on on turnoff (low RPMS).? Still blows well, but the start and stop noise is pretty annoying.

Can this be lubricated, or does the motor and blower assemby need replacemement?? Any idea if this can be done with the heater in place?? It is under a fold out couch and does not seem to be designed to be serviced? :D

It is a Hydroflame 2500 variety.

Thank you for any insight.

Regards,

Frank

Our furnace motor did the same thing.  There is no practical way to fix the bearings, replacement is the best solution.  It's not difficult IF you know how to disassemble the furnace, but if you haven't, it's best left to a service tech.  We have had good service from several mobile RV services and they are generally cheaper than a dealer and easier to get an appointment.

I have had several motors and blowers which started that.

I know they say "The squeakey wheel gets the grease" but by the time the squeals start... It is usually too late and replacement of the bearings, which are often sealed anyway and thus very hard to lubricate, or replacement of the motor, are the only options

It's worth a try to squeeze on some light machine oil and hope it seeps into the bearings (or bushings, as the case may be). Don't slobber it all over and it won't hurt anything to try.  I've managed to salvage a few sealed fan motors that way. But don't be surprised if it starts squealing again soon.

Most RV shops should be able to replace the fan in about an hour.  The fan it self may cost between 40 and 80 dollors.  If you are really handy on fixing things yourself, you can do it.  I am fairly handy and can fix most things but working with something that is hooked up to propane made me a little nervous.  I thought that if something went wrong the shop can fix it better and faster.

Mike

tyefighter said:
Most RV shops should be able to replace the fan in about an hour.? The fan it self may cost between 40 and 80 dollors.? If you are really handy on fixing things yourself, you can do it.? I am fairly handy and can fix most things but working with something that is hooked up to propane made me a little nervous.? I thought that if something went wrong the shop can fix it better and faster.

Mike

Thanks to all for the quick replies.  I dug in and took a look today, and it appears that to get to the motor I need to pull the heater unit out as several of the mounting screws are obscured by the frame of the trailer.  This particular trailer is a bear to work on; I've had other jobs that turn into a nightmare because it appears that all the mechanical stuff was mounted first, and the trailer built and glued in place around it :) 

I think I'll get some quotes tomorrow.  If I can have it swapped out for $125, I'll just pay to have it be someone else's headaches.  I just hate getting gigged.... I'm sure that since they have to work on a propane device, they will insist on a $40 propane leak test too.  Sigh....

They say that a boat is a hole in the water that you dump money into.  Any similar cliches for campers?
Perhaps a money incinerator with a hitch?
-f-

Pulling the heater should not be hard.  Just don't pull the case it is in.  The heater should have an LP line accessible from the outside, several screws in the bottom front which are screwed into the plywood base under the heater.  Disconnect the LP, remove the 2-4 screws, and pull the unit out.  On yes, disconnect the electrical line which plugs into the heater board.  Should be a snap. 

Now getting the motor out is not all that hard, but you do have to disassemble various parts to get to it.  Last one I did took about an hour. 

Good luck,

Yikes... the actual disassembly was a bear, as the motor shaft was rusted and the the locking collar on the burner blower was frozen on.  I'm going to put instructions on how to do this in a different thread.

-f-

Back
Top Bottom