Can I use dye to track this tank leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwdanby

I have a 2004 Forest River Cardinal 32ft fifth wheel. Under the trailer, where all the tanks are located, there is after-market corrugated metal sheeting all the way from side to side, and would be very difficult to remove. I've asked the manufacturer, they had no suggestions. There is a steady drip coming from inside this sheeting, by the edge. It's been the same amount for maybe two months, while I've tried to get a mobile tech to come. Not even the dealer will do it because it's hazmat. So - I'm hoping to trace the source of the leak to which tank it is. If it's the grey or the galley, then I'm not so worried about the tank being cracked and a bigger leak coming. I was wondering about putting dye in the grey and the galley, and seeing if I could spot the color as the water drips to the ground. Seems like I might need a lot of dye? any ideas? Thanks!

in you case I don't think if you put in a little extra it would hurt it just food color just after fix it may take a little time to flush out tank

There is a fluorescent green die used in spring investigations to follow water flow. It is seemingly harmless to the environment. Do you know any hydrologist? You might even get a tiny sample from your local state geologist or a university with a geology or hydrology department if you live in an area with lots of caves.

Seems no matter where it's from, not tearing into it is only delaying the inevitable.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I'm just real hopeful that it's just a leak from a pipe, not the actual tank. I literally can't find anyone to come do it. If it's not the black tank, then I figure there's no impending doom, and I have time to keep trying to find a repairman.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom