Can our Truck pull this 5th Wheel? And, what about AX6?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kvroo1

We have a 31.5 5th Wheel to begin with.  We purchased the Aluminum Frame for various reasons.  Any problems when towing these?  Also, we have a Silverado 2500 HD, 8.1, Tow Mode  - Gas, but probably should have went Diesel.  Unfortunately, we had the truck first, then decided to try out camping.  Here is what we need to know:
1.)  Will this truck pull the 31.5?  I think the empty weight on the trailer is 9200 lbs.  We have a Valley Slider Hitch.
2.)  Trailers with Aluminum frames - are these okay?  What should we be aware of? 

We are new to this so we are going to need all the help we can get.

Thanks.
Kaye

Question #2 first:  Aluminum frames are fine - some of the better brands use them and they hold up well. 

As for your truck, we need more information. What rear axle ratio does it have?  That is a major factor in determining its tow rating. Also, is it an extended cab, crew cab or regular cab and what is the bed length (6.5 or 8.0 ft)?    You need to figure out the specific towing and weight carrying capacities for your specific model of truck.  See this page and scan down to the data for a 2500 HD with the 8.1L engine:    http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

However, the truck should handle at least 20,000 lbs GCWR (combined weight of truck, trailer, passengers and gear) so you are probably OK with a 9200 lb (empty) trailer. Your rig will likely be around 17,00-18,000 lbs total.  A diesel would give you better torque for hill climbing and possibly better fuel economy, but I don't think you will be disappointed in the 8.1L.  My motorhome is nicely powered by the 8.1L engine with an Allison transmission like the one on your truck and it weighs in around 25,000 lbs as we go down the road. 

The "weight police" will inform you that you will be overloaded as to CGVW as most if not all 3/4 ton gasser pickups are not rated to tow 18-19K.  Pull it? Yes.  Efficiently?  No.  More important, can you stop it?  I tow a similar weight travel trailer with a 5.9 liter Dodge, 3.55 gears and get where I'm going.  No mountains on my route.  My CGVW is only 14 K.  Actual weight is 17.5 K.  Smart?  Probably not but I get there. 

As for your truck, we need more information. What rear axle ratio does it have?  That is a major factor in determining its tow rating. Also, is it an extended cab, crew cab or regular cab and what is the bed length (6.5 or 8.0 ft)?    You need to figure out the specific towing and weight carrying capacities for your specific model of truck.  See this page and scan down to the data for a 2500 HD with the 8.1L engine:    http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

Yea verily, yea. 8)  That Chevy site you provided is one of the most complete specification sites that I have ever seen from a manufacturer.  One could pretty easily figure out the story on what a given model can haul with those pages alone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom