Can you tow a 5th wheel with a 'normal' tailgate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigtexan99

Or do I need one of those "special" tailgates that has the cut out notch to make more room?

Thx

Yes you can. And many 5'er drivers do.  You just have to be very careful. You have to make sure the 5'er is high enough to clear the truck when hooking or unhooking.    Make sure you have plenty of space, so the back of the 5'er doesn't hit the ground when raising.  DO NOT OVER EXTEND YOU LANDING LEGS.............

Or you can put the tailgate down.  You will not be able to walk under the 5'er to get to the other side.  If you have a storage compartment in the front, you will not have access to it until you can put the tailgate up.  DO NOT PUT THE TAILGATE UP UNTIL YOU ARE POSITIVE THE JAWS ARE LOCKED around the kingpin.

Hope this helps

Barb

Sure - we never had one when we had fifth wheels. The advantage of the low cut out tail gate is that you can back up to hitch  up without lowering the tail gate and likewise when unhitching.  A modest convenience and it avoids a crash if you forget.

You may or may not be able to walk around the back of the truck with the tailgate down. I can on my setup. I just drop my tailgate, but this spring I will be getting a cheap notched tailgate because my pin box will contact the tailgate in a turn if my slider is back.

And don't ever forget to put the tailgate back up and make sure it's locked up before you drive off.......not that I have ever done it.  ;)

I have only made one trip so far, but I just found it simpler to remove my tailgate altogether. That is what I intend to do whenever towing the 5er....one less mistake for me to make. ;D

Certainly you can use the stock tailgate when towing a 5er.  Just remember to put the gate up or down at the appropriate times.
Forgetting can be expensive, either in trailer damage or tailgate damage, or both.
Just stay focussed on what you are doing, and you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom