Canada Bound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Hi All,

Tim and I are taking our first real lengthy trip.  We are leaving right after July 4, not coming home until the end of September.  First we are heading to Idaho for a Granddaughter fix and some flyfishing; then off to the midwest to visit family.  After that Tim wants to take me to Niagara Falls, cross over into Canada heading back West along the TRans/canadian hwy.  WE know nothing about Canada.  I've spent hours on the internet checking Border Crossing regulations and I think I have that part finally it figured out.

I have a couple of questions regarding our itinery:

1.  Has anyone stayed in the Niagara FAlls area and have campground suggestions for us.  WE have a 35 footer.
2.  WE plan to see Baniff and the CAnadian part of Glacier; possibly crossing back into the US for a longer visit in Glacier; then back into Canada and up to Calagary.  If time allows we will head toward Seattle and come back down the west coast to San Diego.  But inbetween that streatch between Niagra FAlls and Glacier, we are clueless.  Any suggestions on what to see while in Canada along that part of the Trans/can highway...or places to stay.

Marsha~

Marsha,

Much as I dislike KOAs, we stayed at a KOA in Niagara Falls, a short drive away from the falls themselves. IIRC it was an OK park.

Thanks Tom, we are marginal on KOA's; but in a pinch they work.  One of my concerns was traffic in and around the FAlls, as well as, the Border Crossing.  I would imagine a long wait at the crossing.

M~

We didn't cross at the Niagra Falls Rainbow Bridge crossing, but the next one north.  There was practically no wait, in fact as we arrived, they opened up another lane and we zipped right through.

Marsha,

There was no wait at Rainbow Bridge (crossing at the Falls) on either of the days we crossed northbound or the one day we crossed southbound.

We drove to the falls early and there were plenty of parking spaces, although they filled up by the time we left for the day. Similar story the day we crossed to park on the Canadian side. Crossing with the coach on the third day was a breeze.

When might you be in Calgary, Marsha?

We expect to be there in the last week of July and first week of August visiting number 2 son.  Would be nice to have another meet-up.

Have a safe trip.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Yes indeed it would be great to see you both again!!!  However, we won't be in the Calgary area until first of Sept or so.

How are things with you?  Didn't you have some medical issues a while back?  And, how is Peg?

I debating about getting a new camera.  My Olympus E20 is bad at "eating" batteries, so much so that I'm getting frustrated with it.  I didn't get my act together soon enough to take it to a camera shop and have it looked at.  So, using that as an excuse, I might have to do some camera shopping... ::)

Marsha~

However, we [the Lassens] won't be in the Calgary area until first of Sept or so.

Oh, that's too bad, Marsha.  Maybe you should think of coming a bit further westward in Canada :).

You ask after us: Peg and I are doing well, although 2005 was not a banner year for health.  In summary, prostate cancer followed by bypass surgery for me; and a projected shoulder replacement for Peg which, in the end, she cancelled.  But that was 2005.  In 2006 those health issues are behind us and we're getting on with the business of living and enjoying life.  As I type this, I'm sitting in our motorhome at a RV park and marina in downtown Victoria, BC, right on the harbour, using their free WiFi, having just done "high tea" at the Empress Hotel, and all because I'm doing some consulting work with a young dot com-ish company based here in Victoria.  Does really make me feel old as the co-owners are both under thirty, as is everyone else there.  I don't think I can remember when I was thirty ;).

As for the new camera, any excuse to buy a new camera is a worthy reason. ;D.  You've no doubt seen the thread started as Tom agonises over what camera to buy.  I haven't chimed in, but I've read the thread with interest.  Could be paralysis by analysis.

And you: I trust all is well.  I've not spotted any posts about the grandchild--hope all is well there.

So, have a great Canadian summer; and, safe travels.

Ciao,

Doug

Back
Top Bottom