Canadian couple Looking to buy RV in USA with son a Florida resident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicolelaure

We are interested to buy a new Sunseeker sprinter MBS 2400B 2021, We do not want to import it to Canada, we are considering buying with our son, a Florida resident, 50% 50%, register it in Florida, I know about 6% sale tax, but what about property tax, do we have to pay extra tax every year because my son will own with my husband 50% of the title. We want to use it 4 months in Florida ( my son usage), 4 months in Canada (Quebec) ( our usage) extra 4 months for us going to other country. Big question here, when my husband enter Canada with RV, do we have to pay GST tax?

I don't think that you can ad your husband to the title, unless he has a Florida driver's license. Ownership would have to be 100% your son's.

Could you set up an LLC in Montana with both of you registered as members? Not sure though about when the RV is on the drive in Florida, whether the IR might have something to say.
TonyL

A lot of snowbirds buy cars to use while in Florida, and as said above, they had to get a Florida driver's license. At one time, you just had to show the Canadian one, and they issued the FL one, but for the last few years you have to pass it in to get theirs. So most people contact their provincial DMV and report a lost license and ask for a replacement.
Even if you store the unit, it needs to be insured, or you will be fined. But I am not sure about dual ownership, you need to contact the FL DMV.
At one time Canadians could not cross the border with a US plated vehicle, but it is my understanding you can now use it in Canada for up to 6 months in any given year. So, you or your son shouldn't have any difficulty using it as outlined, but you could run into problems if you try to keep it in Canada for an extended time.

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom