Canning Pickles question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke Boater

I pressure can Tuna and have for years, but last night we did pickles out of our garden for the first time, always made cold pack pickles until now. When I put the qt jars in the hot bath canner, the water was up to the neck of the jar. Afterwards I see on the internet most are saying under a couple inches of water for the boil. Did I screw up not having them submerged? Pressure canning pt jars of Tuna are only in a couple inches of water. All the pickle jars sealed as they cooled,,gregg

Yeah, I made the same error last summer canning Pepperoncini from our garden. We treated as many as we could as cold pack and put the rest in the cool, dark basement, upside down so any leakage would be immediately visible. So far, no problems. Just look for anything growing in the sealed jars, or any off odor or flavor when you open them. It helps that they are in a vinegar/salt solution as both are preservatives.

When Pressure canning it does not mattre how much water there is in the thing so long as there is enough.

Hot bath.. I'm not sure but I seriously doubt you will have a problem.

It's been a long time for me but I think if the seals are good you shouldn't have a problem.
We used to pressure can also.

Back
Top Bottom