Can't get the macerator pump working on Vista 29VE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VT_camper

I have a Winnebago Vista 29VE and I flooded the tailgate kitchen compartment where the macerator sits last year, while not paying attention flushing the pipes.  I have replaced the pump, but can't get the new one to work.  I have tested it with a 12V battery, so it does run, but when connected to the camper wires it doesn't run.  I tested the voltage coming to the pump and I get a reading of about 9V, which is really strange since the camper is plugged in and everything else is working.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Welcome to the Forum.

Here are a few suggestions.

Check the voltage at the output of the switch to the macerator.

If you have 12 volts than the problem is between the switch and the pump.  In other words the wire connection.

If the wire was too small you might get a voltage drop but since the wire was factory installed it should be of sufficient size.

Also make sure that you have a good ground at the pump.

You might want to just run a new wire if it is easy to access.  I would also insert an inline fuse if you do that.

Welcome!

What Bill said. Those macerators draw quite a bit of current and if there's any issue anywhere in the circuit to the motor you will have a voltage drop. Try bypassing the switch with a heavy gauge wire and see if there's any improvement (be careful!)

Thanks!  I tested the wire coming into the switch and I am getting about 9V there too.  I have the wire label, so I am going to see if I can trace it right to the fuse box and see what it is reading there.  Any idea what could be causing the voltage drop?  It should be a wire straight from the fuse box.

Download your 12V wiring diagram and start running voltage checks all of the way back to the battery. So you're measuring 9V with the pump running or at rest?

I ran a new wire with an inline fuse and it works great!  Thank you for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom