can't get water pump to pump antifreeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JIGGS

Today i winterized my HM . When i tried to prime the pump with antifreeze it wouldn't pull from the bottle.  So i took a cap and drilled a hole for a fitting to fit the clear hose. I turned the gal. bottle of af. upside down and put a hole in the bottom and feed the pump like you would an animal. I did get the job done. My question is why didn't the pump prime ?  The pump has good pressure when i use it while campping. I do have to shut it off manually . If not it will run non stop. It says to tap the head of the pump to unstuck the switch . did not work. I have let it run for a while to see if it would shut off and did not shut off. The pressure that built up in the lines was pretty high.
Any ideas good or bad is welcome

Usually, if a pump fails to prime, it is because it's sucking air. You have a bad seal somewhere and/or you failed to block off the fresh water hose.  It's that simple.

My lines are full of bleach water just now with aux heat in the rig.  I'm hitting the road in 3 weeks give or take a couple of days, Need to flush and refill a couple of times before that happens

Today i winterized my HM . When i tried to prime the pump with antifreeze it wouldn't pull from the bottle.

First question is, "What brand of Rv and what type of water system?".  Does your Rv have a direct external inlet to the pump? Many do not.  If you were trying to feed it via the normal fresh water hose connection, that is usually not a pumped inlet. Plus, there is a check valve in the inlet and you need external water pressure to push the check valve open.  You may need an external pump to make the job easier - a hand pump or small electric pump (e.g. a boat bilge pump).

So tell us a bit more about your set-up and perhaps we can make some suggestions.

What I can tell you is I took the filter off  the inlet side of the pump .Put the clear hose with the hook up for the antifreeze on the pump. Stuck the other end in the gallon bottle and tried to prime the pump.  I am sitting here typing this and it seems to me that once i feed the pump and got it primed there was a small leak. Which as john said would be sucking air when trying  to catch prime. The leak was coming from the fitting on the clear hose
If you can think of any thing else please say so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom