cape canaveral launch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrd341

Hello all!  We will be travelling from ft myers to ny in our 35 ' adventurer and were wondering if it is
possible to pull over and park for a night to catch an early morning (3am) launch from canaveral somewhere along the way and then continue on up the coast to I95? any area that we could catch a glimpse of the launch would be ok! thank's,
Dennis

The launches can be seen all over central Florida. I see them really clearly from my front yard and I live 40 miles east of Kennedy Space Center. There is a launch schedule every day online however know that launches get postponed frequently. Usually until the next day.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches-and-events/events-calendar?pageindex=1&categories=Rocket%20Launches

thank's, We have to be out of this cg by 11am and will get to the canaveral area early ,about 4pm,and will have to kill some time until the 3am launch, didn't know if there was somewhere we could park that long!

There is a county campground,  Manatee Hammock in the Indian River, near Titusville.  You could spend the night.  And you won't find a place with a better view. I'd recommend it, IF you can get a spot.

SeilerBird said:
The launches can be seen all over central Florida. I see them really clearly from my front yard and I live 40 miles east of Kennedy Space Center. There is a launch schedule every day online however know that launches get postponed frequently. Usually until the next day.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches-and-events/events-calendar?pageindex=1&categories=Rocket%20Launches

Tom:  How do you keep the FW floating??  ;D

In 2010 we parked on the edge of the road here:  28.625356, -80.791453 about noon of the day before the shuttle launch and stayed until after the launch at 6am.  Don't know if that is still OK or not.
Also there is an old, somewhat defunct shopping mall here: 28.575498, -80.799669  That you MAY be able to park at for the night. 

Sorry for chiming in late.  There is a Wal Mart in Viera (I-95, exit 191) that allows an RV to overnight.  The premium spot to camp would be Jetty Park but that fills quickly.

Deciding on planning camping around a launch is a real gamble.  Some launches have up to a 50% scrub rate.  I've seen a single mission scrub six times based on a combination of weather and mechanical issues.  One of the best sites to plan launches around is:

https://spaceflightnow.com/

There is a launch schedule for missions all over the planet.  Some launches even have twitter feed through Spaceflight now.

Hello all, thank's for the suggestions! as an update, we wound up trying to reserve a spot at the county cg mentioned above, but,as expected, they were full, so we decided to take a chance and drove to Titusville anyway,in the hopes of finding anyplace to just park until the scheduled launch at 2:49 am. We found a vacant abandoned looking restaurant on highway 1 (a really busy street) with  large run down empty parking lots on both sides of it about 100 yards from the bay that leads to Kennedy space center which was a few miles across the bay and directly in front of us! We could actually see (though barely),the rocket and buildings with binoculars! we did see a lightning storm across the bay though,and thought it might get scrubbed, but the launch went off perfectly right in front of us! What an awesome experience!!!!! We could actually see,hear,and feel the tremendous power of that rocket for about 10 solid minutes, as the fireball lifted toward orbit, it was breathtaking, and won't be our last!!!! Thank's for all of the suggestions which led us to making the decision to "take the long shot!" We could not have asked for a better place to view it from! Now, if I could only find a good route to take back to Buffalo with less mountains from here in SC! LOL

When there are rocket launches at Wallops Island in Virginia, it's easy for us. Just go out on the deck! We do get a better view if we go down to the crabbing pier though. :))

Back
Top Bottom