Cape May

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnnie

Any suggestions for a park in Cape May N.J.? Will be attending family function next summer and need to plan this out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Johnnie

woodartist said:
No recommedations on a park, but make sure you see the sunken cement boat off the coast, if it is still there. Yep, cement.....

Concrete boats ? We have those here on Galveston bay, they make a great reef for the fish ! ;D ;D

Click on the link for some reviews of parks in Cape May.

http://rvparkreviews.com/regions/New_Jersey/Cape_May.html

D2 said:
Click on the link for some reviews of parks in Cape May.

http://rvparkreviews.com/regions/New_Jersey/Cape_May.html

I have not had much success with those reviews. Maybe it's me, but a lot of them I disagree with having been at the some of the campgrounds myself. For me, I would respect someone's opinion on this forum and put a lot more faith on comments here than on the rvparkreviews.com website.

I agree wholeheartedly, Bruce, that personal recommendations from the framily are the best.  I couldn't give Johnnie a recommendation and since no one else had, I provided him with the site to give him some information.  I use the site in conjunction with Trailer Life when I don't get personal recommendations.

I was raised in S. NJ and one of the sites to see was the concrete boat. Family said it was a design during WW2 and obviously not a good one:) At low tide you can see ( used to) part of the boat sticking up out of the water.........results of some "design by committee I guess ;)

If I remember, correctly, they solved a very big problem, at the time. They were made from a new design for reinforced concrete, allowing relatively thin, but very strong walls. The big deal was that they could be manufactured very rapidly, and we needed them quite badly. They were used to land troops on beaches. They did the job. They had them by the thousands, in very short order.

Was a tough time, something like these days, actually.

Yes, I am that old.

Ray D.

You can't be "that" old Ray:) SO, there were some that did float and were useful? Wonder why the one off Cape May sank? The family thought it was a joke, making a cement boat and was the brunt of local folk lore:) Maybe that one was the first prototype before thinning the hulls:) N ow I'm curious and will have to do some mresearch. Thanks for the info!

That technology was put to good work, after the war. It was used to make septic tanks that were light enough to be pre-manufactured and hauled by small trucks to the installation site. Also used to make man-holes, pre-fab. Up to the end of the war, construction technique was a big military secret, I am told.

Some times I just amaze myself with useless information stored in the wrinkles of my brain!  :-\

Ray D

Thanks for the info Ray. I was raised in a small town and the people thought it was just a dumb idea:) My Dad worked in a shipyard building the landing craft ( medical deferment) and always thought the idea of a cement boat wasn't "workable." Guess he was wrong, and now you have me going off on some research :D Amazing what one can learn. !!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom