Car seat recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamuelJerome

I've been looking at car seats all day. Hopefully someone can help guide me.
We know we want an infant seat. We're hoping to use it for future kid(s) too so something that's a nice quality and is likely to hold up well. I was looking in the 160ish price range but any suggestions, high or low, are welcome.

When I was a certified car seat tech...BRITAX was the go-to brand for a seat that would go from infant to toddler. But those are quite expensive if I remember. As long as its NHTSA approved, and not on the recall list, which changes monthly, you should be fine. Also depends on where in the RV? or vehicle you're going to put it. You may not have room to place a rear facing infant seat in a dinette with the table in place. Need a bit more information to make an informed choice for something like this. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

You're talking about in an RV / motorhome I assume?

Charger1204 said:
When I was a certified car seat tech...BRITAX was the go-to brand for a seat that would go from infant to toddler. But those are quite expensive if I remember. As long as its NHTSA approved, and not on the recall list, which changes monthly, you should be fine. Also depends on where in the RV? or vehicle you're going to put it. You may not have room to place a rear facing infant seat in a dinette with the table in place. Need a bit more information to make an informed choice for something like this. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

^^ All of the above! I was also a certified Child Passenger Safety (CPS) technician for a portion of my law enforcement career, and worked many of the free community carseat clinics. 9 out of 10 carseats were installed incorrectly in some way, usually related to the proper level and proper belt tension. Expensive seats are fine, but anything sold in stores has to meet the same federal safety standards. Lots of brands offer fully "convertible" seats that you can use for rear-facing babies (in the harness straps), forward-facing toddlers (still in the harness straps), and forward-facing kids in boosters (harness gone, car's seatbelt used).

Expiration dates are a factor due to integrity of the plastic breaking down over time (similar to the rubber in tires), so don't buy one used and don't buy until you actually need it.

Back
Top Bottom