Carefree Model #?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwIII

I found the slide topper torn away from the left front slide of my FIL's '14 Meridian 36M on first inspection of the unit. I failed to get look to see if there was a model number on this Carefree topper before the coach went to a Cummins repair shop for engine work.

I found the Winnebago part number on the parts lookup website for the topper, but can't find a cross-reference to Carefree's identifiers.

If you know definitively what Carefree model is used, I'd appreciate if you'd share the info. If there's a way to easily cross-reference Winnebago's part numbers to their OEM I'd like to know that, too.

Howard

topper1.PNG

topper2.PNG

I wouldn't mess with Carefree. There is a company in Brooksville FL that will make a new topper from measurements that you provide.
The website is stonevos.com
I had them replace all 3 of my toppers last year and I am happy with them.

As far as I know, Stonevos only supplies the fabric for toppers and awnings. Hwill appears to need some hardware components and that would come from Carefree.

The badly bent piece is an awning rail, probably a standard hardware item, not unique to Carefree. Most any RV parts place would have them but you need to know the length. RV awning rails are designed to accept standard 1/4" polycord.

I can't see what is wrong with the roller tube. Do you need the whole roller (tube, torsion springs, mounts, etc) or just the hollow metal tube? Should be able to identify it in this diagram:

Last edited:
Do you need the whole roller (tube, torsion springs, mounts, etc) or just the hollow metal tube?
Thanks for the reply.

What I suspect happened is the internal mechanism froze. When the slide extended the tube did not unwind, thus pulling away from the side of the camper.

My first inclination was to replace the entire assembly.

I installed all three slide toppers on my travel trailer, so the process is not difficult. Just need an extra set of hands when sliding the fabric into the rail.

As far as I know, Stonevos only supplies the fabric for toppers and awnings. Hwill appears to need some hardware components and that would come from Carefree.

The badly bent piece is an awning rail, probably a standard hardware item, not unique to Carefree. Most any RV parts place would have them but you need to know the length. RV awning rails are designed to accept standard 1/4" polycord.

I can't see what is wrong with the roller tube. Do you need the whole roller (tube, torsion springs, mounts, etc) or just the hollow metal tube? Should be able to identify it in this diagram:
Stonevos did replace a couple of small parts on my toppers. They had those parts in stock. Obviously, I went there and had them do the work. But they will make and ship the fabric.

So you probably need the roller tube assembly, the rail, and maybe new torsion springs too? If so, with new fabric added, you are probably at the cost of a new topper.

So you probably need the roller tube assembly, the rail, and maybe new torsion springs too? If so, with new fabric added, you are probably at the cost of a new topper.
If I ever get the coach back from the Cummins repair center I can dig into the topper and know for sure. I'll post a follow-up.

@Gary RV_Wizard -- got the unit back from Cummins yesterday.

For anyone else that may stumble across this thread in the future, the Owner's Manual (which was inside the RV) shows the slide toppers on this rig are Carefree Ascends. Measurement of the living room slide shows the whole assembly is 13' 6" long.

I agree with your assessment that an entire new assembly is likely to be the way to go. Unfortunately a local Carefree dealer said they've stopped ordering from Carefree as the backlog is >6 months. I need to make a few more phone calls to confirm.

Is it a safe assumption that the topper does not play any part in keeping water out of the slide? (I know they don't in my TT.) I'm not familiar with the slide mechanism, and the lock embedded in the top of the slide was a surprise. I'm also surprised that the heavier, and longer, kitchen slide is a Schwintek--which I'm very familiar with--and the living room is a Power Gear? slideout.

Is it a safe assumption that the topper does not play any part in keeping water out of the slide?
Yes. It adds a little shade and keeps debris from building up on the slide (a little can get under it sometimes), but the slide itself has the sealing job.

The above may be correct if the rv is not a Winnebago Journey. I do know that the slide lock on my 34y leaks a flood if the topper is off.

Ernie

The above may be correct if the rv is not a Winnebago Journey. I do know that the slide lock on my 34y leaks a flood if the topper is off.

Ernie
My exact concern, Ernie. With the slide out there is water dripping out of a storage cabinet which is above the table and couch after it rains. (Cabinet built into the the slide.) That lock on the roof of the slide is quite an odd choice for the lock's location. I thought at first it was the roof of the RV (sealant needs attention) but now I see it is the slideout. Wiper seals look good, no foreign object or other obvious damage.

Then there is a defect in the slide seals, cause no topper is waterproof, nor safe from wind-driven rain or snow.
No it's not the seals. The slide lock is a stud that comes up from the slide and goes into a hole in the coach roof. Its purpose is to keep the slide retracted while underway. When the slide extended, that lock is outside the coach and covered only by the topper. Last year I was in Florida and a storm came through and ripped the topper off my full-wall slide. We got flooded. We could keep the rain out by just closing the slide. So the seals were just fine.

@Gary RV_Wizard and all,
Just a quick follow-up to close out this thread. My Mom decided to sell the Meridian. She's "done" (her words) with RV ownership. Dealer is picking it up this week.

So this is my sign off from this forum with a thanks for the information provided. I appreciate it!

Finally, If anyone here happens to need help (or knows someone that needs help) with a Grand Design trailer, look me up on Grand Design's Owners' Forum (gdrvowners.com) where I'm known as "howson".

Howard

Back
Top Bottom