Cargo Trailer Conversion Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustGo

Hello,
I'm in the process of ordering an all aluminum 7X12 cargo trailer and converting it to a camper trailer. I was wondering if there are any special laws I need to know to make it street legal. Most of the structural changes are being done by the manufacturer and I will be doing all the finish work. I'm most interested in boondocking and occasionally staying at RV camps and camp grounds.
Also, any ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

Thanks for the website. It is more specialized for the types of camper I'm looking for. Only thing is there is no link to register.

JustGo said:
Hello,
I'm in the process of ordering an all aluminum 7X12 cargo trailer and converting it to a camper trailer. I was wondering if there are any special laws I need to know to make it street legal. Most of the structural changes are being done by the manufacturer and I will be doing all the finish work.

There shouldn't be any problem making it "street legal" as far as interior conversion is concerned, nor for the exterior as long as you don't have weird protrusions hanging out.

A few states (Washington for one) do assess a fee on campers to support their state parks, check with your state to see if that will apply.

darsben said:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57294

darsben,
I've sent two reguest, as asked, to join tnttt forum to the address you gave me but get no answer. Sorry to bother you here but there are no links to contact that forum other then the address you gave me. Any idea what is happening?
Thanks

Yeah I did all that. Put him in my address book, checking spam everyday. Nothing.
I guess he's a member of this forum too. I'll try to find him and send a PM as you suggested.

Thank You.

Maybe the guy's sick, or in the hospital, or something?  My ID and password still works, if you want to pm me with an email, I could try posting it over there for you, if they have a support forum.

I did all my own work converting a 6x14 aluminum cargo trailer into a camper and never did anything as far as contacting authorities are concerned. I've gone boondocking out in the woods hunting, and to campgrounds and haven't been denied or questioned. Admittedly I didn't do anything about adding a water system, but I did do my own basic 120 and separate DC wiring. In theory I suspect ab electric inspector wouldn't entirely approve of my 120, but all I did was add a switched light and 3 outlets. I'd say it's better to do it an beg forgiveness, than to ask and be denied.

Back
Top Bottom