Carpet Repacement Cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncluley

Does anyone know the approximate cost of having carpeting replaced in a motorhome or 5th-Wheel -- just the labor cost, I have the carpeting?

I am just looking for a ballpark figure for planning purposes.

Thanks!

When we had new carpeting and padding laid in our Endeavor in 2001, it costs about $1100 for labor.  That didn't include tipping the slideout out as that was done for another project.

lotss of factors come into play when replacing flooring-- if there is water damage, rotting floors, etc. best thing to do is give me a private email- [email protected]

ncluley said:
Does anyone know the approximate cost of having carpeting replaced in a motorhome or 5th-Wheel -- just the labor cost, I have the carpeting?

I am just looking for a ballpark figure for planning purposes.

Thanks!

I don't know what the costs might be but, when we were thinking about replacing our carpet, we were told to buy the best carpet possible because the majority of the cost was in the labor.

Jim Dick said:
I don't know what the costs might be but, when we were thinking about replacing our carpet, we were told to buy the best carpet possible because the majority of the cost was in the labor.

That was certainly true in our case.  And the carpet in an RV has a very concentrated wear pattern, so it pays to buy the best carpet you can find.

Ned said:
That was certainly true in our case.  And the carpet in an RV has a very concentrated wear pattern, so it pays to buy the best carpet you can find.

It sure does. I had thought about berber carpeting as we had that in the house and it wore extremely well. I can't remember why but they suggested not using it. Perhaps it's too hard to work with in a coach.

not only buy quality carpet- buy the best pad you can find. i use 1/2 inch 8 pound pad. since it was mentioned that the wear patterns are much the same, the pad is what will keep your carpet lookinng good for quite a while longer. Carpet fibers will look bad when sand and dirt scratch the fibers. Kinda like when you scratch your glasses- the light will absorb in the fibers, thus making the color look dingy. Taking your shoes off will really make a difference. Hope this helps, Ernie Ekberg, Wanderlodge , floor covering since 1972

Hi Ernie,

It does help. Didn't think about specifying the best pad. We do take our shoes off whenever we enter the coach. We have a fairly good sized carpet overlay at the entry and around the driver's seat. Helps a lot with the dirt.

In addition to removing shoes, we also use a carpet runner down the main traffic aisle.

If you have carpet that is fuzzing and plugging up your vacuum, you have a staple yarn for the filament. In case you are putting carpet on top of carpet and it's fuzzing, get another softer back runner. The abrasive backing in todays carpet will contribute to an early demise and you might have to replace it sooner. Hope this helps, ernie, wanderlodge, texas

We bought some good grade commerical carpet and foam padding from

http://www.ssmills.com/Showroom/brassfield.shtml

and then made a deal with a local carpet store to have them install it when their crew had a free day. I took the MH to their store and they did the whole thing in about 6 hours for $400. We're real happy with the reults.

Chet18013

Tom:

I am interested in your comment about the carpet runner.

We tried using a carpet runner for the last month.  However we could never find a good way of keeping it tied down to its proper spot.  We tried using those adhesive pads under the runner and over the original carpet, but the foot traffic, including the dog, kept moving the runner around.  We also tried a rubber underpad.  That was even worse because it would start showing after a few minutes of foot traffic.

Yesterday, the Admiral gave up and angrily rolled up the runner and moved it out to the shed.

Did you have this problem and did you find a solution?  I would have a very happy Admiral (might get me a few more toys if she got the smile back on her face) if we could get that runner fastened down.

Smoky,

Chris uses a tacky pad that's sold specifically for carpet-to-carpet use at Home Depot. The pad is cut almost the size of the runner. After 2 years of use, ours is now in need of replacement, but that's a lot cheaper than replacing the carpet. FWIW Chris uses the same kind of pad under the rug by the salon door on the boat also.

Another option that we used on the old coach was to staple the runner to the floor. However, in that case we were covering an entire section of the main carpet with something heavier than a runner. When we got rid of that coach 15 years later, the original carpet below was still like new.

Smoky said:
Tom:

I am interested in your comment about the carpet runner.

We tried using a carpet runner for the last month.  However we could never find a good way of keeping it tied down to its proper spot.  We tried using those adhesive pads under the runner and over the original carpet, but the foot traffic, including the dog, kept moving the runner around.  We also tried a rubber underpad.  That was even worse because it would start showing after a few minutes of foot traffic.

Yesterday, the Admiral gave up and angrily rolled up the runner and moved it out to the shed.

Did you have this problem and did you find a solution?  I would have a very happy Admiral (might get me a few more toys if she got the smile back on her face) if we could get that runner fastened down.
How about using a few pieces of the male part of Velcro? Should stick to the rug.

Tom:

We bought that same pad at HD.  the one we bought was only sticky on one side, so we stuck it to the runner.  We were hoping the rubberized side on the other side would stick to the original main carpet.  It did not.  But the roll of sticky pad was only 6 inches wide and we cut 4 2 foot pads and place one at each end and one on the side.  Did you buy a pad wider than 6 inches and if so was it sticky on one side or both sides?

Darn, I wish we could find a good way of keeping the runner in place.  If we could it would really cut down on wear.

Smoky said:
We bought that same pad at HD.

Can't be the same if the other stuff you mentioned is correct. Ours is tacky both sides and comes in "runner size". It's also available at your favorite campground store.

Tom:

The HD we went to only had the rolls of sticky pad that was sticky on one side and 6 inches was the widest.  Obviously you found what we need.  I am encouraged with your info to check the HD web site.  Thanks!  ;D

Save yourself a trip and wait until your next overnight at WalMart.

Back
Top Bottom