Carrying a pistol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've recently come across some state and federal laws that make that somewhat iffy. They state that a home is a fixed dwellling, which would seem to mean a permanent building, but don't explain exactly what a fixed dwelling is or whether an RV qualifies.

Yeah, that's one reason why I noted that when the Rv is moving it is primarily considered a "vehicle" rather than a "home". When it is parked and you "reside" in it, it is arguably a home, subject to court interpretation of a host of factors that might apply in any individual situation.  That certainly does make it "iffy"and I wouldn't choose to bank my own personal freedom on it!

Court rulings have generally held that laws requiring a fixed abode are discriminatory, at least with respect to itinerant people. Whether the same would apply to someone who owned a fixed dwelling but was temporarily elsewhere is another matter that I won't speculate upon.

Gee, I thought FTO was a Mitsubishi?

I noticed in 36 CFR 2.4 that the law is 'inoperable' OR 'cased'....guys I worked with in Death Valley always interpreted it as 'inoperable' AND 'cased'....in any event, best to keep firearms unloaded and put away when you're in a park....not that the rangers have the time or inclination to go looking through your RV.

John In Detroit said:
Quite right Karl, I've never heard the term FTO before,,, Firearms Training Officer perhaps

On most departments FTO means Field Training Officer. He is the guy that trains rookies in the squad car. From several years of first hand experience I can tell you it is a nerve racking job. Most Departments pay extra money to FTO's.

Woody

Steve said:
There is no way to get around the law in Canada...a pistol is a restricted weapon and is not allowed in the Country.? The law of Canada applies to residents and visitors to our Country and visitors are expected to abide by Canadian law while visiting Canada just as Canadians are expected to abide by the laws of your Country while visitng.

Please review the regulations Click Here

I have never heard of this.? What are the circumstances under which you had to declarer the amount of gas purchased in the U.S. when entering Canada?? One is usually asked about alcohol, tobacco and firearms and the value of goods intended for import...but not gas in the tank.

I have been asked before by Customs about the quantity of gasoline in my built in boat tank.

Woody

Karl said:
Billy,

Offhand, I can't think of any (normal) pistol that even HAS a firing pin per se. Part of the hammer, yes. Removeable, no.

How about every semi-automatic pistol ever manufactured. ? All have spring loaded inertial firing pins. ? None have a firing pin integral with the hammer internal or external.

Almost every modern revolver has a separate inertial firing pin. ? Rugers even use a transfer bar to intermediate between the firing pin and the hammer. ? ?The old pattern of firing pin integral with hammer is antique and has been rapidly disappearing from the market. ? It requires that the hammer can only be down on a empty chamber for safety's sake.

All that said, firing pin removal is generally considered a gunsmith's job -- pro or skilled amateur.

Steve said:
There is no way to get around the law in Canada...a pistol is a restricted weapon and is not allowed in the Country.? The law of Canada applies to residents and visitors to our Country and visitors are expected to abide by Canadian law while visiting Canada just as Canadians are expected to abide by the laws of your Country while visitng.

Please review the regulations Click Here

I hate to quibble on this but exploring the site you so kindly provided, there are procedures for entering with a handgun that falls under the restricted class  However,  extra forms are required (a transport authorization) and the permission is severely restricted.  Frankly, unless you are involved with a sanctioned target shooting event, or fliming a professional movie, I would forget the idea.  It is not worth it. 

Carl Lundquist said:
All that said, firing pin removal is generally considered a gunsmith's job -- pro or skilled amateur.

Oh, I don't know... I have seen semi automatic pistold field stripped by some of my troopers... And then when they got done taking it apart,,, I had to put it back together for them... cause... well,  they are easier to take apart than to reassemble :)    (Kind of embarrased the troooper to have to have the dispatcher put his gun back together, no, I'm not a gun smith)

John In Detroit said:
Oh, I don't know... I have seen semi automatic pistold field stripped by some of my troopers... And then when they got done taking it apart,,, I had to put it back together for them... cause... well,? they are easier to take apart than to reassemble :)? ? ?(Kind of embarrased the troooper to have to have the dispatcher put his gun back together, no, I'm not a gun smith)

Have owned a few pistols myself, including my favorite, the 1911, and the field stripping procedure does not include pin removal.  That is a step beyond a field strip. 

Karl said:
Carl,

I said 'normal' pistol. Perhaps I should have said revolver, as in the .38 M&P Special we're all familiar with, but in either case, the firing pin is either non-existant or non-removeable thru normal means.

A rather old design actually.  IIRC it dates to no later than the 1920s.  In this day of safety litigation, I dunno if that design feature is sold anymore.  But as you say, firing pin removal is an armorer's job.

Karl said:
Woody,

And worth every penny! Sometimes rookies act in ways that make you wonder who's side they're on ;D ;D

Ah yes, I lost a squad car to a guardrail one time when a new rookie was driving in a pursuit. He hit it on my side too. He was trying to catch a TransAm on a curvy country road with an 89 Ford.

Woody

John In Detroit said:
...semi automatic pistold field stripped...easier to take apart than to reassemble...

Maybe you need better weapons. A few (OK, quite a few) years back I owned a 9mm Beretta semi-automatic that I could field strip and reassemble blindfolded in about a minute. I've seen others that seemed to explode into a bucket of mismatched parts when you took them apart.

Hi All,
I don't know anything about guns and firing pins but Have you heard the recent news in Yuma?? A woman was struck by her husband, went into the "other room" of their RV and got a gun and shot? and killed him.? He lived long enough to say "I can't believe you shot me." While details are sketchy, the authorities are not charging her with any crime. I'd say this is another reason to consider NOT having a gun in an RV.? On the same newspaper page a man in San Luis (near Yuma) was arrested for verbally harrassing his ex wife via telephone.? Now go figure our laws!

Betty

JGarrick said:
Maybe you need better weapons. A few (OK, quite a few) years back I owned a 9mm Beretta semi-automatic that I could field strip and reassemble blindfolded in about a minute. I've seen others that seemed to explode into a bucket of mismatched parts when you took them apart.

Well, perhaps I could field strip it and reassemble it blindfolded.  I tend to be good at that kind of thing.

However the trooper who took his gun apart..... Well, he could not put it back together
(I could, so it clearly could not have been that hard, After all, I'm not the one who took it apart, it's easier to reassemble if you are the one who took it apart in the first place don't you know)

Back
Top Bottom