Carrying a pistol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bob Buchanan said:
So as I continue to look for advice here, Jeff -- it appears you are telling me I would be better off getting a dog than a wife?  Hmmmmm . . .  ??? ???

Bob:

Please don't put words in my mouth, I get in enough trouble without help. ::) ::)

Skip the gun, skip the wife....get a loud (not necessarily big) dog or an attack cat like Karl has.

Funny how the older and more affluent one gets, the more judgmental one gets...

Bob

Jeff /Washington said:
Bob:

Please don't put words in my mouth, I get in enough trouble without help. ::) ::)

Sorry, Jeff -- was just trying to logically follow the words of wisdom here.  ;)

It's been a number of years now since BASF -- and I still haven't made a decision. I don't even think about it as a concern of burglary, and agree that a dog (or Karl's cat maybe  :)) or other preventative stuff would cause such a villain to go to someone else's home or rig. Have had 2 very nice bikes stolen from my rig since becoming a full timer 10 years ago. Each time I filled out an accident report -- and insurance claims. I would "never" think of a weapon to stop someone from stealing from me.

The only reason I would ever carry a weapon in my rig (other than against an animal attack and for the sport of range shooting) would be in the highly unlikely situation where my life itself was threatened -- and I was down to the decision of doing everything I could to prevent that from happening. The "him or me" situation. That was the theme of the training I received at BASF, and that is why I continue wrestling with that decision.

Unfortunately, there are crazies, thugs, hoodlums, and terrorists in this world. One of my bikes was stolen by a crazy fellow high on drugs and in need of money to buy more drugs. I was in an RV park at the time. 2 years later, the fence that bought the bike was arrested and my bike returned. I was told by the investigator that I was "lucky" I had not tried to confront or stop this person. There are gangs of thugs around that break into peoples homes just to terrorize the occupants -- for no apparent reason. I mentioned in another thread were I was in a park in Sacramento when I heard the loud speaker from a helicopter hovering over my rig telling me to lock my doors and stay inside until further notice. This was because there was a drug bust going in a few sites down from mine. There isn't an RV park in that particular major CA city that that would not happen.

A few years back I was installing my SW in a new park under construction in TX. They invited me to stay as their first guest even tho the park was not open. That evening I noticed everyone leaving (the workers, owners, and such). All of a sudden I found my self in the middle of 103 acres with no moon light all by myself. To make things worse, they forgot I was there and locked the front gate. About 3 in the AM I awoke to very strange noises outside. No doubt that I would have felt a bit easier if a S&W was near by -- no thoughts of, "I wish I had a dog now".

Again, the chances of my life being threatened are extremely rare. Also, for the most part I consciously park where I feel safe. If someone does steal from me -- and I am aware of it, I figure there is not much I can do. A barking dog would be a great deterrent -- tho being solo and away from my rig a lot, it would be almost impossible for me keep one. But as mentioned, I would never go for a gun to prevent it.

However, if that situation ever arises that someone wants to cause me harm and I am down to knowing that the only way I am going to survive is to fire that weapon, I believe that at that instant, I would wish I had a weapon to defend myself. If it's him or me -- I would choose him. If ever in that unlikely situation, I am sure they would kill my dog in a heartbeat, would laugh at me for coming to a gun fight with only a baseball bat, and the only way I would survive is to take matters into my own hands.

If I go that way, it would mean further training and regular trips to a range. I know other RVers that do that on a regular basis -- RVers that park with us and are members of this forum. I have already learned a lot and feel I have the right attitude about firearms as I hope this post demonstrates.

Finally, this is my problem and my decision that I grapple with and nothing I say here is meant to influence someone else's opinion in any way on the subject.

Bob Buchanan said:

If I go that way, it would mean further training and regular trips to a range. I know other RVers that do that on a regular basis -- RVers that park with us and are members of this forum. I have already learned a lot and feel I have the right attitude about firearms as I hope this post demonstrates.

Finally, this is my problem and my decision that I grapple with and nothing I say here is meant to influence someone else's opinion in any way on the subject.

Bob,

You coulldn't be more right in your thinking.? The only valid reason for even pointing a weapon at someone is to defend your life or that of another.? Having a weapon for protection is a serious matter and one that never should be taken lightly.? If you do decide to pursue further self defense training, you might take a close look at Gunsite, also in AZ.? They are considered to be one of the best, if not the best, training facilities in the world.? Their website is here.

Al

Ned said:
Sasha may not be big, but she is loud.  I doubt anyone would try to enter our RV if she was there alone.

Ned,

Sasha would intimidate anyone who wants to enter your RV! ;D ;D

Bob Buchanan said:
However, if that situation ever arises that someone wants to cause me harm and I am down to knowing that the only way I am going to survive is to fire that weapon, I believe that at that instant, I would wish I had a weapon to defend myself. If it's him or me -- I would choose him. If ever in that unlikely situation, I am sure they would kill my dog in a heartbeat, would laugh at me for coming to a gun fight with only a baseball bat, and the only way I would survive is to take matters into my own hands.
But, it's not as simple as "If it's him or me -- I would choose him".  I have four young children.  If it were truly just me, maybe I would agree with Bob.  However, make no mistake, threnten the livelihood of my children, and you will never find out if it would be me or you.

Unfortunately, we live in a society where somebody could be strung out on drugs, break into your home, threten the lives of your loved ones, and if you protect yourself,  your the criminal.  Sometimes it's better to be convicted by 12 then carried by 6.   

I just received an email the other day explaining that if you have a vehicle with remote keyless entry (clicker) you should take it to bed with you, the clicker that is. That way, if something happens during the night all you have to do is press the panic button and your car horn will start honking thereby alerting your neighbors.
Sounds like a mini security system that could be helpful in time of need. :-\

In Albuquerque we have had a recent rash of shootings that concern me.  In the first, two men came into a "Stop and Rob" store and took the money which was handed over to them without resistence.  They then shot the clerks.  The following day a teacher was robbed as he went across a parking lot and he surrendered his wallet without resistence.  He was then shot.  Finally a friend was driving his car away from work when a pickup truck pulled out in front of him forcing him to stop.  Serveral men got out and told him to give them the keys to his car while they leveled a shotgun in his face.  He did and was shot at as they pulled away.  The car was later found as part of a getaway car after the Hilton Hotel was robbed.  This type of violence seems to have gone to another level and appears gang related.  I do not think it is a local gang as the MO is not what the locals have done and seems more from out of State or Country.  If you have kids teach them gun safety and about opening doors to strangers.  Take a class on gun safety and use.  When a situation happens it happens fast.  Know what you are doing and respond to it appropriately.  You cannot recall a bullet once fired but on the same token you cannot be a good RV'er or family member if you are 6 feet under.  This is our Country and if it takes a force of personal arms to secure our safety then so be it! 

Sorry, just found this thread. If you are travelling from a place that it is legal to have a pistol, to another place where it is legal, then federal law says you can transport the pistol....unloaded I suspect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom