Carrying a pistol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wls

When rving across the usa, can you carry a legal pistol in your 5th wheeler, note, I don't have a concealed pistol permit.  I guess what I'm asking, and I believe you 5th wheel is your second home, can you have a pistol inside you wheeler? Or might parks not allow them in, if they know you have one.

You can generally carry a weapon in the states, but don't try to cross the border (either one) with it.

If you plan on passing through or staying in any National Park Service sites, federal law requires that any weapons be broken down with the firing pin stored separate from the gun.

The general rule about handguns when crossing state lines in the US, this is from advice given Police officers. Is do not carry.

Now, if you have it in a locked box, in a locked storage compartment, on a trailer, then you have the right to ask the police officer to justify his request you open the box... But you have to open the box non the less.

As I said, this is advice given to police officers.    Believe it or not the rules for civilians may be easier to live with

wls said:
When rving across the usa, can you carry a legal pistol in your 5th wheeler, note, I don't have a concealed pistol permit.  I guess what I'm asking, and I believe you 5th wheel is your second home, can you have a pistol inside you wheeler? Or might parks not allow them in, if they know you have one.

Unless they have changed the law, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES carry a pistol in MA!!!!!!

If you cross the border into Canada, please do not carry any firearms on board.  Firearms are not permitted in Canada, and you will be asked at the border.  If you are carrying and you lie, and if they do a spot check, and they do...you will be refused entry into our Country and will cause yourself a lot of grief with the border officials.

Let's not confuse carryiing with transporting. For the most part, you should be o.k. transporting a firearm almost anywhere in the U.S. as long as it is unloaded, in a locked container, and not readily accessible. A glove compartment is not usually considered a locked container and also fails the readily accessible test. There are only about 13 states that flat out prohibit carrying a firearm; the others vary with respect to whether it can be loaded, concealed, or requires a permit. Check with state and local law enforcement agencies for specifics.

Karl,

MA is one of those states that doesn't care where it is, it's not allowed. I think they had a mandatory year in jail if caught! I also think there may be a way to get a one time permit but I never had a need to check. All I remember is they are very adamant about not bringing a pistol into the state.

I think the most important point in this discussion is that the individual state's laws apply as soon as you cross the border.  There is no single nationwide law that applies.  You have to conform to the local law in EACH and EVERY state you enter, so be sure you know the law before you cross the state border.  Individual cities, tows, counties may have further restrictions. And yes, some Rv parks, whether private or public, prohibit guns. Most federal parks do, e.g. National Parks, Corp of Engineer parks, etc. 

As for taking hand guns to Mexico or Canada, forget it. No dice and penalties are severe.

Generally speaking, your RV is considered a "home" for legal purposes while you are using it as a residence, in the same sense that a hotel room or an apartment is a temporary home.  The status is less clear while it is in motion and is subject to interpretation the the courts, depending on circumstances and local law.

There are booklets on state laws available for those who travel with fire arms - one such can be found at http://rveducation101.com/detailpages/Firearms.htm?SiteID=1

Jim,

That's exactly why it's important to check with state and local laws. MA does issue permits, Class A or Class B, which distinguish between being capable of firing 10 rounds or less without reloading, or those that can fire more than 10 without reloading. Also FID cards are not grandfathered in. You MAY be able to stop at a State Patrol office and get a temp. permit, but don't know that to be a fact. Best to just unload them and lock them away out of reach.

Gary,
Generally speaking, your RV is considered a "home" for legal purposes while you are using it as a residence, in the same sense that a hotel room or an apartment is a temporary home.

I've recently come across some state and federal laws that make that somewhat iffy. They state that a home is a fixed dwellling, which would seem to mean a permanent building, but don't explain exactly what a fixed dwelling is or whether an RV qualifies.

Wendy,
Curious as to where you found that firing pins must be removed?? 36CFR2.4 (NPS Gun Ban) doesn't mention anything about that. Can you tell me where that came from? Thanks.

Ned said:
You can generally carry a weapon in the states, but don't try to cross the border (either one) with it.

We race oval snowmobiles, and that sometimes takes us to Canada, yes they are very strick, never carried a pistol on those travels, you even had to tell them how much American gas you had, plus toolboxes etc.
I was wondering if you could put a pistol, clip out, into a lockbox beside your bed, just like I have at my home. Only difference is the one is ready to go at home, but available only to me. I think I will talk also to the local police, and hit on the subject, see what they have to say about it.

I was wondering if you could put a pistol, clip out, into a lockbox beside your bed

There is no way to get around the law in Canada...a pistol is a restricted weapon and is not allowed in the Country.? The law of Canada applies to residents and visitors to our Country and visitors are expected to abide by Canadian law while visiting Canada just as Canadians are expected to abide by the laws of your Country while visitng.

Please review the regulations Click Here

you even had to tell them how much American gas you had

I have never heard of this.? What are the circumstances under which you had to declarer the amount of gas purchased in the U.S. when entering Canada?? One is usually asked about alcohol, tobacco and firearms and the value of goods intended for import...but not gas in the tank.

If you have firearms in a National Park, you are required to notify the ranger when entering. All firearms must be 'inoperable.' When we were in Death Valley, all the law enforcement rangers considered 'inoperable' to mean incapable of being used as a firearm, not just unloaded. My Dad tried arguing one time that his pistol was under the bed and the ammunition was in a drawer in the kitchen and they said that didn't matter, it had to be unloaded, broken down, cased AND put away. That's been the response of all the NPS law enforcement folks I've known.

This talk about taking guns to Canada caused me to remember a news story

Some years ago the Baptist ministers held their convention here in Detroit,

Several popped over to Windsor for lunch... Ofter borrowing a car from a preacher more local to Detroit

Well, they would cross over and the custom's agent on the Canada side would say "Got anything in the car for Protection" (This said while LOOKING at a hand gun in it's holster on the rear (indoor) deck of the station wagon), the preasher said "NO", the agent would repeate the question, in slightly differnt words, 2 or 3 times finally asking DO YOU HAVE A GUN IN THE CAR, (remember he's looking at the gun) and the preacher still said "NO"

And off he went to jail

John In Detroit said:
The general rule about handguns when crossing state lines in the US, this is from advice given Police officers. Is do not carry.

Now, if you have it in a locked box, in a locked storage compartment, on a trailer, then you have the right to ask the police officer to justify his request you open the box... But you have to open the box non the less.

As I said, this is advice given to police officers.? ? Believe it or not the rules for civilians may be easier to live with

John,

The law WRT police officers carrying a firearm outside of their state changed last year.
They can now legally carry a firearm in all 50 states. Applies to law enforcement retirees with lifetime permits too. The Sheriffs Dept. I retired from notified us of this change last summeer.
You still cannot take one into Canada or Mexico though.

Woody

The best place to get good advice about carrying with or without a permit, carrying in a vehicle or any other info concerning weapons is www.packing.org.? You would be surprised at how much mis-information you can get, even from current law enforcement personnel.? I remember being told by my FTO that anyone carrying a knife (in Al.) that had a blade longer than their palm was wide was guilty of carrying a concealed weapon and subject to arrest.

I also have never heard of having to have the firing pin removed from a firearm to possess a firearm in a national park.? The average citizen would not be able to safely remove and re-install a firing pin from a pistol.

Billy Crowell
Tuscaloosa Co. (Alabama) Sheriff's Office.

If you have a concealed carry permit from one state, many other states will recognize the permit as being validin their state.  I have an Arizona ccw permit.  other states that recognize Arizona's permits may be found at the link below:

Jake

http://www.azccw.com/az_reciprocity.htm

Hi Billy,

Nice to see another Road Dog around here. Not too many others will know what an FTO is though.
Welcome

Woody

According to packing.org, it is ok to carry a firearm (pistol) in Maine, in a motor vehicle as long as the firearm is unloaded.  It may not be carried on a person without a permit, and cannot be displayed in a threatening fashion.  There is no mention of a prohibition against crossing state lines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom