Cast iron pans and convection microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a convection microwave that would allow you to use metal cookie sheets. I believe it stated it as very shallow metal pot or pans. This was a home model and about 20 years ago.

I would suggest looking up your model on the internet and see what it says.

FYI we hated the convection microwave it was extremely under powered. The newer ones may do better.

When used as a convection oven, a convection microwave doesn't use microwaves.  Therefore, you can use any pans you wish.  When used as a microwave avoid metal as with any regular microwave. 

docj said:
When used as a convection oven, a convection microwave doesn't use microwaves.  Therefore, you can use any pans you wish.  When used as a microwave avoid metal as with any regular microwave.
This was my understanding Doc. I needed to hear it from someone I trust.
Thanks for the reply

Sound advice from docj!  Just remember that some convection microwaves have a fast cook mode that uses both convection and microwaves. Don't be tempted to try the fast cooking mode if using metal containers or foil.

It is technically feasible to use some forms of metal where microwave heating is active, but discerning what metal is acceptable vs what will cause sparks or overheating is beyond most consumers, so the only safe rule is "no metal with microwaves".  As with many things, it can be done if you have the knowledge & skills, but most should obey the dictum "Do not try this at home".

PancakeBill said:
and...  do not use microwave safe utensils in convection mode.

Not to quibble, but ovenproof glass (Pyrex) and Corningware are safe in both convection and microwave oven modes.

docj said:

It really does depend on the oven and the cooking mode, some of these ovens have modes that use both the microwave and the convection cooking mode together.    I know that according to the manual the Sharp convection microwave in my coach has some cooking modes like "roast" that use both.  Also the GE Advantium at my S&B house has combination "Speed Cook" modes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom