Cat Conv Thieves - better watch out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creativepart

I made a monthly trip to my RV in storage today to check on it. But when I started up the motor... ROAR!!!

I started the motor was exactly one month ago so sometime in July the thieves got to it.

I read about this happening to others on all the RV forums and always think I'm lucky that my storage place is out of sight of the highway and brightly lit and securely fenced.

But none of that matters when a thief wants your catalytic converter.

Darn, that stinks. I caught someone slithered under my F150 in broad daylight at Peidmont Park in GA. 5 minutes later he would have gotten to mine. Hope you have a minimal expense and find a way to reduce the risk of it happening again. When I am on the road, parked at Hotels etc, I have a magnetic alarm sensor and MacGyver setup. I can not imagine someone laying under a truck with an alarm going off inside.

I made a monthly trip to my RV in storage today to check on it. But when I started up the motor... ROAR!!!

I started the motor was exactly one month ago so sometime in July the thieves got to it.

I read about this happening to others on all the RV forums and always think I'm lucky that my storage place is out of sight of the highway and brightly lit and securely fenced.

But none of that matters when a thief wants your catalytic converter.
No security cameras at the storage place?

The only way this is going to stop is by stopping the scrap metal shops that are buying all of these catalytic converters no questions asked.
Many states and localities require scrap yards, etc., to maintain records including identification of catalytic converter and copper sellers. Not all yards are honest in their recording keeping though, and that can be hard to monitor. Joe Blow brings in 6 cats legitimately salvaged from wrecked cars and presents the required identification. Then Chris Criminal brings in 10 stolen cats and collects under the table for them, but on the books Joe Blow's listing suddenly gets a "1" added to make the quantity "16". The state/local inspectors don't have the time to verify all the listings, so those 10 cats just disappear into the recycle system and no one's the wiser...

Someone stole mine in January. It was in storage that was fenced and gated. This is happening all over the place. The Ford dealer charged me about $1,800. The insurance paid half. No fun.

Back
Top Bottom