CB Radios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a handheld that I use in the coach. I have a good unit and antenna installed on the toad, though, mostly for 4WD excursions. Still, on occasion it can get a bit of road info when there's a bottleneck ahead.

Never turn mine on unless i'm stuck in traffic, then just to see if anything is sais about what's going on ahead. Usually would not want the family listening. Just saying, would rather listen to fellow sailors

We've got one in our RV, but like Larry N, it's only used to stay in touch with whoever is off-roading in the Jeep. It's always off when we're traveling. 

Kev

On long trips I turn mine on to monitor for traffic issues

Like the others, our CB only gets turned occasionally to monitor traffic issues. If it hadn't been installed in our coach when we bought it, I likely wouldn't have installed one.

We had one in our coach and I enjoyed it often. However i do not enjoy listening to truckers swearing or over powering everyone on the channels with their over powered CB's.

Bill

Have 2 one on 13 ("good sam's" channel) one on 19 (truckers) and on the last 900 mile hike they told me of two accidents. One of which had it taken much longer to clear I'd have avoided (As it was it was gone when I got there)  and 2 more on the other side of the freeeway that did not bother me.

In the past I've had even better luck as the radio gave me alternative routing or other means to avoid major hours long tieups.

I've got a Midland 75-822 handheld CB.

It won't throw very far without an external antenna, but it's useful to take in the Jeep to catch any near-ish CB traffic on trails, or pick up a local chatter about a traffic incident.

I drove truck for a year and I can have a way with words sometimes, but not on the radio. I hate hearing bad language on the radio and I really don't enjoy people's political/racial/whatever endless chatter/ opinions. Traffic and weather is all I want, and for that, the CB mostly stays off.

I've got one, it goes on like some of the others have mentioned regarding traffic. Not much trucker chatter out there anymore.

The only other time it goes on is if we have a more technical backing, I've got a pa speaker, that along with the backup cam and speaker gives me great communications to the better half spotting me.

Yeah I make the occasional bystander jump too.... My inner child has never grown up.. :)

My coach was wired for one, and when I found a cheap open box deal on a modern CB I added one back in a couple of years ago, I think I have turned it on only a handful of times, one nice feature about it is that it supports automatic weather radio alerts in case of severe weather.

Mine came with the coach when I bought it from the first owner.  It just sat on the top of the dashboard - completely loose except for a mike clip.  It now resides in a cabinet completely unhooked and the antenna on the roof is folded down in its permanent travel position.  I was a CB addict back in the 70s and broke the addiction by going to Ham radio but I am even retired on that now.

Heli_av8tor said:
"one on 13 ("good sam's" channel)"

John, How active is that channel and what do you hear?

Tom

I think I've heard traffic on it like twice in 14 years..  But I had the radio already and rather than toss it.. But another factor is the antenna. A small "Mag mount" like 19" long wire wound stuck on the frame under the RV so I"m not really trying with that. IF you can not read the word INTRUDER on my RV. odds are you won't be talking to me on 13

We also have a CB in our coach. I listen to it occasionally to see what is going on. For the most part it is silent as many truckers seem to have gone to cell phones(?). I installed it in case we get stuck somewhere and nothing else works. Hope we never need it for that. It is very handy when there is NOAA weather alerts are being broadcast. (Ours has 10 weather channels). If the CB is on, no matter what channel it is on, a weather alert will break in if one is broadcast.

We've talked with truckers occasionally, such as to tell them they have something loose flapping in the breeze or something that doesn't look quite right.  The only way to talk with them is by CB so we keep ours.  We also turn it on if there seems to be a major traffic problem ahead. A trucker near an accident, for example, might say to stay away from the left lane which is blocked.  And, as someone else mentioned, there are weather alerts on it.  It can be useful, although not nearly as much as they were a couple of decades ago.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom