cdl cdl licences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvidiot

???i bought a dieisal pusher.was stopped by the md state police who asked me for my license and reg.he came back asked me to get out of and that i was not autherized to drive this vehicle since its gvw is > 26000.lbs.he said i needed a class b cdl license.dealer didnt tell me this even after i asked them.what cab i do now im 75 dont wont to botyher with that.do i have the right to return unit to dealer?

If you are licensed in Maryland, it is true you need a special class license to drive an RV (or anything else) over 26,000 lbs. The requirements in Maryland are essentially identical to obtaining a CDL, so it's not just a formality.  If you aren't prepared to establish a residency somewhere else (e.g. Florida or Arizona) and get your driver & vehilce licenses there, then I guess you better go have a conversation with the dealer. 

Fundamentally a driving license is your responsiility, not the dealer's. But if you indeed asked and a representative of the dealership gave you erroneous information, then you have a good case for the return of the motorhome.  But it will boil down to "I said...you said" and perhaps the dealer's concern for his public image. If you can show (or at least convince the dealer) that they indeed led you astray about the license requirements, they should take back the motorhome or have their liability insurance cover the economic loss you will suffer in reselling the rig.  If the dealer doesn't accept your version of the story, it will be tough situation and you will probaly need an attorney to reach a settlement, if that it possible at all. Good luck... :(

No perfect place, everyplace has it's quirks and good points.  It's all what's best for you.

rvidiot said:
???i bought a dieisal pusher.was stopped by the md state police who asked me for my license and reg.he came back asked me to get out of and that i was not autherized to drive this vehicle since its gvw is > 26000.lbs.he said i needed a class b cdl license.dealer didnt tell me this even after i asked them.what cab i do now im 75 dont wont to botyher with that.do i have the right to return unit to dealer?

First of all determine if the cop was right.  They have been known to be wrong.  Get the GVW from the DOT plate on your vehicle.    Check with the Maryland DMV or better yet, the Maryland Motor Vehicle Code.  Check with other MH owners around your area, find out what they have done.  Finally, tho I hate to say it, you may need to talk to a lawyer.

I just looked up the laws in my state of Oklahoma and they state:

Section 1-152.1 - Recreational Vehicle.

For the sole purpose of the classification of vehicles as provided in Sections 1-107.1 through 1-107.4 of this title, a recreational vehicle shall be deemed to be a Class D motor vehicle, provided such vehicle is a self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance.

Section 1-107.4 - Class D Motor Vehicle

1. Regardless of weight:

a. is marked and used as an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 1-103 of this title, or

b. is designed and used solely as a recreational vehicle;

I bold ed above to point out in our state that the weight does not matter if its an RV as defined as above.  I only need a Class D licence.

Now my return question is, if I drive into another state am I held to my states licence requirements or theirs?

The general rule is, if your home-state license is valid for what you are driving it is valid while passing thru another state.  That bases on the full-faith and credit rule of the US Constitution.  That said, your rig may not be legal in another state -- like treble pulls or super longs on state and local roads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom