CDs for DVD versus Plain vanilla CDs? What is the Difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Framily.
What is the difference between a CD for a DVD and a plain vanilla CD? Longer, lower, wider?  :D

I have a midi file on a 3.5 floppy that has to be read with an external 3.4 drive. No problem.  I want to "put" this file on a CD. Do I use a DVD CD?

Thanks,
Liz

IslandHopper

The CD and DVD are identical to LOOK at ... same size, etc.
The metal layer inside them is different though, and the way a computer encodes data on them is different.  What it amounts to, though, is a CD will hold about 700MB of data.... a DVD will hold more than 4 GB of data (that's more than 6 CD's on a single DVD).  (And your Floppy holds about 1.4 MB of data... not much by comparison.)
So if your file fits on a Floppy, then it'll fit on a CD.... CD's sell for about 30 cents apiece in bulk, DVD's are about a dollar apiece.

If you want to be able to play this MIDI file in a CD player (like a car or home stereo) you will need to make sure it is re-formatted to an AIFF file and then "burned" as a music CD (not on a DVD)... there are several programs that will do this ... iTunes will (it's free, and most people seem to have it.)

Jackliz

IslandHopper said:

If you want to be able to play this MIDI file in a CD player (like a car or home stereo) you will need to make sure it is re-formatted to an AIFF file and then "burned" as a music CD (not on a DVD)... there are several programs that will do this ... iTunes will (it's free, and most people seem to have it.)

OK. Thank you.
Regards,
Liz

Top Bottom