ceiling fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sueh

Hello!!
  I could use some advice or opinions, thank you in advance.
  When we bought our used Heartland Trail Runner 40FKSS is has a ceiling fan in the living room area. The fan was missing one blade. We thought that when a cupboard was opened and the fan was running that it hit and broke. Well, the end of our first season we had someone winterize for us which included closing up the slides. When he closed the living room slide he heard a crack and realized it was the fan that was getting hit. So, my question is what type and size of fan should I get to replace it? We definitely need to be able to closed our slide.    Thank you, Sue

Hi, replacing the blades would be great, but if I have to do the entire fan I will do that also.

Sounds like somebody installed a too-large fan. Maybe the previous owner, or maybe a factory mistake?

You may be able to get replacement blades in a shorter size (smaller fan diameter) from the fan manufacturer, but more likely you will end up replacing the fan. Is it 12vdc or 120vac?  And what blade diameter do you need on order for the slide to close without hitting?  Maybe there is no practical size small enough for that location.  Do the measurement and identify the fan make/model. Then maybe somebody here can help find a solution.

You can find replacement blades on Amazon.

Depending on the size you will need it may be cheaper to replace the fan...LOL ok maybe not.

I would open the cabinet doors and close the slide and start measuring.

Thank you Gizmo and Gary, both of your suggestions are good ideas!!! Thanks for taking the time to respond! Sue

Yeah, and Depot and Lowes carry some too.  If you have the blade mount hardware (which determines angle as well as hole positions), you can probably use a more-or-less universal blade of the right length.  Replace all the blades as a set, so that the balance is correct. Trying to replace just one blade is sure to be frustrating due to noise and vibration unless it is an exact (factory) replacement..

Where is the fan hitting and why does it not break a blade every time?  Can the blades be aligned to miss the slide?

Blades only are available many places fans are sold.  Most are blades only, and use your old mounting hardware.  As Gary said, replace all blades as a set.  Weight and balance are critical to a smooth running fan.

I have to be careful when closing my slide due to the fan.  Most of the time, the blades just turn away when the slide hits it.  On the rate occasion it hits dead-on, I have (so far) been able to stop the slide and adjust.

Just get a small diameter, hugger type fan.

A thought if you or some one you know is handy:

First figure out the length of the blade you need and then use one of the existing ones to make a pattern. Use a band saw or sabre saw to cut the end. Then pick up some thin luan plywood and trace the new pattern, (including the mounting holes) onto it making the amount  of blades you need.
Finish each one by sanding, painting or staining/polyurthaning.

I have done this with two different fans (for a different reason then yours) and the end result was as good or better then the original blades.

Jack L

Thanks everyone! You all have provided me with good ideas!!! I will let you know how it turns out!!

Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom