Change power cord or water filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetsurrender

My DH has this concern. In our Winnebago, the 50 Amp cable and the water filter in the same compartment are a disaster waiting to happen. (See photo) The issue is the cable is extremely stiff and hard to manage when it is cold and I can see easily tearing the water filter off. Evidently there is a fix that requires removing the cable and putting a female plug in the compartment, then putting the modified cable on a roller and storing it separately (in another compartment). Has anyone done this, and is it a simple thing, or is it better to just bypass the water filter and use the kind that attaches directly to the hose? Any ideas are welcome!

Side note, I asked earlier about brakes. It is at the Rush Truck Center, and hopefully we will get word it is an easy fix and get it back soon. Of course, I'll update!

As always, thank you all for your advice and help.

Winnebago water filter.jpg

The issue is the cable is extremely stiff and hard to manage when it is cold and I can see easily tearing the water filter off.
If you have a basic knowledge of 120V electricity and the connections involved that would not be a difficult change but you also would need to deal with routing the supply to that new female plug and mounting it. It really depends upon your skill set. On the other hand, I have never heard of anyone tearing off the water filter in the way that you are concerned about. If you hire the work done it won't be cheap, but can be done.

Part of the issue is lack of room caused by the Southwire generator transfer switch on the right in the pic. It is NOT water proof and should NOT be in that compartment. I would move that unit to inside behind the power center, there is almost always dead space somewhere to put it close to the power center, and then install a turn lock 50 RV power inlet in that compartment and put the proper end on the cord.

https://www.amazon.com/MARINCO-6353ELRV-Marinco-Power-Inlet/dp/B0064EA73G

31EdIXsuaWL._AC_.jpg

An alternative is to install the power inlet above, connected by a short bit of cable to the generator transfer switch, leaving it in its place, and then, as you suggested, storing the cord elsewhere.

I did look at the 2022 WBO Adventurer 30T wiring diagrams and that is all installed exactly the way the factory intended for it to be.

Something for you to do. Download the wiring diagrams referenced above, they are the ones for YOUR RV, and are a total of 15 PDF files to download, then go to the

diagrams and download each of them. Put them on a thumb drive and keep them in the RV. Should you need plumbing or wiring diagrams, you will have them on hand, and not have to depend on a internet connection or WBO discontinuing them, etc.

Here is a link to the interactive parts catalog for the entire RV. I know of no way to download this as it is designed to be an online interactive catalog. 2022 Adventurer 30T parts catalog

Charles

Last edited:
I would think the bigger problem rather than ripping the water filter out is the power cord insulation cracking and flaking off. But if you want to remove the old cord and replace it with one that has a male and female end and an outlet on your MH you only need some idea of basic wiring principles. If you do go this route be sure to take photos before taking any wiring apart. And you can always come back here and post pictures and ask questions.

I like the flexible cord solution, though with my skill set I'd be tempted to use teak or cedar (rot-resistant) to build a three sided, U-shaped "well" to screw-attach to the bay bottom and come up both sides of the filter to protect it. Tempted. Getting lazier as I get older, I'd probably go for the cord, the wiring thereof also being in the rudiments of my skill set.

I have a Winnebago with same setup. I removed water filter and connected plumbing with appropriate permanent fittings. I then purchased an inline water filter to connect to faucet and hose going to my water inlet. Electric cable and control box are isolated from now water system.

Someone correct me if I'm looking at her picture wrong. I see a short pigtail with a male plug leading to what appears to be a hard-wired surge protector.
If that is correct the present 50A cord is already detachable, thus may be stored elsewhere.

Thanks to all. As usual good advice and ideas. He will probably go with the simplest fix in removing the on board filter. We just go back to the inline one on the hose.
Thank you!! Happy trails.

Back
Top Bottom