Change to a Led Bulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danford49

IMG_E0319.JPG attached is a picture of the bulbs, the bulb on the top is what was in my TT It is a 1141 type of bulb, the other bulb is what i want to put in the light fixture in my TT as you can see they are Led Bulbs, My question is simple by change to Led, will it cause anything to be changed from a electric standpoint?

Just simply install them in the sockets and you're done, if you mean the RV house lamps.

If you try to use them for turn signals and such (stuff that needs to blink) then there are other issues to deal with.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I swapped all twenty of my house lamps with them. You will save on battery consumption plus the 1141's get so hot you cant touch them after 20-30 seconds. Just a little different light, just like in your home.

If you try to use them for turn signals and such (stuff that needs to blink) then there are other issues to deal with.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I replaced my turn signals several years ago without a problem.

Generally the only change is the amount and quality of light.
A good LED replacement may give more light and either Cool or Warm light
A cheap one ... Well I've seen some cheap ones (Blue very blue and not bright either)
ECO-LED is a top quality/price brand (About 20 a pop)
I've pad way less and gotten good lights but I treat ECO-Led as the "Gold Stanard"

Replaced the dome lamp in my car for 50 cents and got more light (Closeout table)

These LED's are getting better all the time, even the cheaper ones today are much better than they were 3-4 years ago. Having said that I would pay a little extra for better quality, also I prefer warm white color.

Perhaps something like: https://smile.amazon.com/HGHC-Contact-Interior-Landscape-Lighting/dp/B07GX53PKC/

These have an actual DC driver to compensate for DC voltage variation, as well as being encased in Silcone for better heat dissipation

I replaced my interior light fixture with an led exactly like the original incandescent .It made all the difference in the world . I'm going to do a few more More light and better than orginals

Attachments

• 12-Volt-LED-Lighting-770.jpg
    12-Volt-LED-Lighting-770.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Progressive-Dynamics-12V-Led-Double-Light-W-Switch.jpg
    Progressive-Dynamics-12V-Led-Double-Light-W-Switch.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I replaced my interior light fixture with an led exactly like the original incandescent .It made all the difference in the world . I'm going to do a few more More light and better than orginals
We had two fixtures in our RV which had signs of overheating. We replaced those fixtures with the LED type. On the rest of the fixtures we replaced the 1141 bulbs with LED units.

That was 2019, and so far, all are still bright and shiny

The cheap LED bulbs use resistors instead of regulators and while that works, they tend not to be long lived at elevated voltage. When running on battery the voltage starts at 12.75v or so and only goes down but when on shore power the converter will put out 13.8v or more in some cases, which drives up the current and thus heat in the LED's, as well as the limiting resistor. These bulbs have limited paths to dissipate this heat which will accellerate their demise. I discovered this in my RV with a lamp I like to leave on a lot and have had the bulbs in that fixture crap out in about a year. Post mortem revealed the heat stressed components. Bulbs that use regulators as indicated by a wide operating voltage range (like 9-24v) won't be sensitive to input voltage. But for the money it's tough to beat the value of the cheap bulbs, being just a few bucks you can replace them numerous times vs spending more on a regulated one. On battery power alone they seem to have a decent lifespan. Another thing to know is that when using bulb replacements vs LED fixtures that have integrated LED modules is the bulbs can't shed heat well in some fixtures. Heat in this context isn't the dissipation of the bulb but the heat at the diode junction inside each little surface mount LED. The path for this heat is the solder tabs at each end of the LED and the circuit board they're soldered to. Even if the PCB is an aluminum substrate as many are the primary heat convection and conduction path in fixtures designed for incandescent bulbs likely isn't great but with most bulb replacements it usually works out OK. I've learned the cheap bulbs are all over the place in terms of brightness and color temperature. I ended up buying a few of different ones and trying them out then order more of the ones I liked. In my RV the power for the lights dropped by 2/3 after switching to LED's.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Last edited:
I have incandescent Progressive fixtures as shown above but did not want to change out the fixtures and be tied to failure of the individual LEDs or the driver circuit (which does happen). Previously in a Winnebago View motor home I had these fixtures in, I fabricated flat plates to replace the domed reflector plates and installed M4 Products flat plate LEDs, which worked very well. I was not willing to do that time time around (no two of the corner cutouts of those Progressive reflector plates are the same!!!) and I merely installed M4 Products LED replacement lamps. The reflectors actually scatter the light better than a flat plate does and I am quite happy. ALPLATE-48-5630-NW Natural White Double Aluminum Plate

I use exclusively M4 Products M4 LED Products because of the quality and consistency of color from one type of bulb to another. Most of their LEDs are available in a warm white, daylight, and cool light. I don't like the yellowish or bluish light and prefer the pure white of their daylight bulbs.

This Bigfoot trailer had a odd mixture of LED replacement bulbs in it when I bought it, and many had dead LED elements and there were all the colors of the spectrum in it. I removed them all and bought M4 lamps and took the best of the old ones and installed them in the lights in the cargo pod on the front and the storage bin in the back. I trashed almost all of the remainder.

The Bigfoot came from the factory with all LED exterior lighting except for the backup lights. These are Bargman fixtures and I changed the BU lights out to a Bargman LED replacement and I had to add red reflectors to replace what was removed in the conversion. I also have Red/White DOT tape on the rear bumper.

The biggest offenders are the reading lights. Usually they are 10 watt halogens and I install side pin LEDs in their place and shave the power consumption to almost nothing. G4 Double Pin Retrofit LED Lights My motor home had a total of 10 of the 10 watt halogen lights. After I changed them out, I could turn on all 10 and use less current than a single halogen did.

I replaced the 1141 lamps with 1156-33-3030-NW Natural White Elite2 (1141/1156) BA15s Base

I had a couple of pivoting head reading lamps over the bed that used 921-9-3030-NW Natural White Elite2 (912/921) Wedge Base

In all cases, I use the "Elite Series" lamps because they have aluminum housings for better heat dissipation.

Charles

Last edited:
My coach has 26 of those 1141 fixtures inside and another 7 in the storage bays. I bought a lot of 20 LED replacements off Ebay, but we didn't like the bright white color. After about a year I bought another lot of 20 LED replacements, but in warm white this time. Now you can't tell it's even got LEDs in it, except in the head area. I continue to use the bright white bulbs in there because I hate to throw perfectly good bulbs away. In that vein, I've been using all the incandescent bulbs I removed from the interior in the storage bays. I hardly ever use those lights, and then only for short periods. Waste not, want not.

BTW, I spend probably 80% of my time plugged in to shore power and haven't had any bulb issues. I've replaced a couple of the bright white ones for loosing segments, but, hey, they're almost 5 years old at this point.

We replaced all the 1141 bulbs with leds. We really like the brighter and whiter light. Can see so much better. We also bought led for the florescent bulb fixture. One of the problems I had was some of the fixtures didn't work at first. Had to remove the fixture and wire it right. With the old style bulbs the fixture can be wired backwards and it will still work but led bulbs will need the fixtures wired right.

I changed all the bulbs in my 2015 Voltage with led bulbs from Amazon cost me less than $100 3 different bulb types and a total of 4 chandalier, 26 1141/t10?and 12 mini t4 ? never had a single issue from Chandalier lights to bedroom and cabinets to all the running lights. Still have about 20 bulbs left over lol

This is just an example similar to what i bought and paid

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211023-084608_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20211023-084608_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
No, but given the photo showing lots of resistors and no real voltage regulator I would stay away from them.

p.s. if you want a paddle style bulb in that size this might be a better choice UNXMRFF Super Bright 921 LED Bulbs Warm White T10 194 922 912 LED Bulbs Replacement for 12-24V RV Ceiling Dome Light RV Interior Lighting Trailer Camper Light Bulbs, 650 Lumens (Pack of 10) : Amazon.ca: Everything Else
I was just looking for an LED replacement. It really doesn’t matter to me whether it’s a paddle style or not. I just didn't want to spend $10.00 for each bulb…..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom