Changed out the anode rod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

Did my yearly anode rod change and tank cleaning. I might be able to get more use from the anode, they are not that expensive so I change it out every year. The inside of the tank didn't have too much debris in it.

Attachments

• 20200728_142657_copy_612x816.jpg
    20200728_142657_copy_612x816.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 70
SMR said:
Did my yearly anode rod change and tank cleaning. I might be able to get more use from the anode, they are not that expensive so I change it out every year. The inside of the tank didn't have too much debris in it.

It was due.

Some will argue that your anode has a lot of life left.  Yes, it would, but my concern is the weakening next to the threaded end may at some point break off while traveling our less than perfect roads.  I change them out early as well.

Thanks for the reminder, I still have not done mine this year due to being around home due to Covid.

I've used the same anode rod for the 5+ years I've owned our trailer, and it barely has any signs of "use". But, we are weekend/vacationers and only camp a few times each year, and the hot water tank is kept empty otherwise. So I'm sure that is a significant factor.

I change ours every year and it generally looks about like Steve's.  I wouldn't want to let it go a second year.

I am not touching mine, and when the tank leaks I'll change it out to one with out an anode rod, even if I have to buy a marine one.

I try to be pro- active on all my maintenance, so the very first year after buying this new trailer I pulled the anode to change it out. When I put the new one in (using teflon tape), It leaked. I tightened it a little more and it it leaked worse. I took it out and re-did the tape. It leaked again. I tightened it more and it still leaked worse. In exasperation, I tightened it so tight, I thought I might end up turning the whole tank over and that got it down to a leak of several drips an hour which evaporated in the pan. A few days later the drip stopped completely, and it has not leaked in the past two  years, (seven months each year of snowbird use.

I never could figure why one brand has a anode and another doesn't My home electric water heater is thirty years old, and I just drain it once a year using the drain valve.

Jack L

So you cross-threaded one anode rod and ignored the maintenance on another?  Is that a recommendation?

This one looked better than last years anode. We full time so I need to change it annually.  I have had issues with them leaking too, I usually remove and reapply the teflon tape.

The Atwoods, now Dometics, don't have an anode rod because the tank is made of aluminum, and do not require 1. The Suburbans use a glass lined steel tank and do require the anode rod. As for leaking at the fitting, I would suggest not using teflon tape, use a standard liquid pipe joint compound. Most people don't know that teflon tape is not a thread sealant, it's just a lubricant to allow you to tighten the joint a little tighter.

sadixon49 said:
Most people don't know that teflon tape is not a thread sealant, it's just a lubricant to allow you to tighten the joint a little tighter.

That is true but not totally:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape#:~:text=Thread%20seal%20tape%20(also%20known,plumbing%20for%20sealing%20pipe%20threads.&text=Thread%20seal%20tape%20lubricates%20allowing,from%20seizing%20when%20being%20unscrewed.

Teflon tape has to be applied properly in order for it to work effectively. You need to wrap it on the threads about 3 turns. If the leak continues, wrap it a couple more wraps. When looking at the end of the fitting or pipe, wrap in a clockwise direction only. That way it will not have the tendency to unwrap when screwing in the fitting.

Also don't use that junk white teflon tape that is often included for free with plumbing fittings.

As to swapping a Suburban out with an Atwood, are you aware that they are different shapes, often making such swaps impossible?

The rate of deterioration on an anode rod depend mostly on the mineral content of the water.  If you ran only pure (mineral-ion-free) water through your system, the anode would probably last forever. Hard water, especially water with a high pH, will corrode the anode more quickly.

I change ours every spring without fail.  The photo above is about as good as it ever looks - often worse.  Plus, there's always a ton of mineral deposits and debris in the tank.  Got myself one of those plastic wand things with a bent tip and shutoff valve - that does a pretty good job of rinsing out the crud in the tank.

I don't even want to know what it would look like if I waited two seasons to change it.

Back
Top Bottom