Changing out the Deminsions inverter with Xantrex Freedom 458- 12/2500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Inline image

Inline image

Inline image

Inline image

Attachments

• 1626177310569.png
    1626177310569.png
    357.3 KB · Views: 1
Have you tried it with just one input and one output?

Just noticed your images - I think that breaker panel if the one that is powered by the inverter.

I hate to say this but I think you should should pull that Xantrex out and replace it with one that is a single output otherwise you are going to doing to be doing a bunch AC wiring re-configuring.

Last edited:
Your right about the rewiring, my present Breaker Panel only has one leg and can't be split for two 30 amp legs which would give me the two legs in and two legs out that the Xantrex has. With this inverter/charger the Tech Rep said that using one leg in and one leg out would be fine for this unit with the wiring that I have. The problem is feedback on the out line from the inverter. I now have to determine where the feedback is occurring in that line. Not having changed anything in that wire is telling me it existed prior to the installation of the new inverter. Will try to track that down this morning. Any tips on how to do this is welcomed. Thanks John for all the help

.....With this inverter/charger the Tech Rep said that using one leg in and one leg out would be fine for this unit with the wiring that I have. The problem is feedback on the out line from the inverter. I now have to determine where the feedback is occurring in that line. ......
Have you tried the configuration of AC in #1 and AC out #1? Do you have neutral and ground connected or separated?

How does "feedback" manifest itself? Tripped breaker or what?

Have you tried the configuration of AC in #1 and AC out #1? Do you have neutral and ground connected or separated?

How does "feedback" manifest itself? Tripped breaker or what?
Power in has the bare ground connected to the inverter ground bar, the out is the same. Hot and neutral in are connected to black (hot) and white (neutral). The same with the out. Since I have not disturbed any wires in the main or sub panels, I should have been ok. Will check the out from inverter to sub panel and see what is happening. If it's somewhere along the wire I'll just run another 10 ago to sub panel. I have to take the M/H to the glass shopping tomarrow morning for three days to have the Windshield replaced. That will set me back on the inverter fix. Will keep you posted. Thanks for Following my adventure.

Sorry about the delay in response time on the inverter but had to have the windshield replaced on the passenger side because of a stone chip that developed into a crack moving up the glass. It took a few days but the new glass is great, no leaks also. Been studying the inverter diagrams and realize now that in order to get the full benefit of the new inverter I will have to change the main breaker box that has one leg entry, to one that has two legs. Also is true for the sub panel. Will find an electrician to do that when the time comes. Now I need to only use one leg instillation which has a problem on the out line on the inverter to the sub panel. That line has feedback and I can't find out what is causing it. I have the wire but just replacing that wire may not solve the feedback issue, guess it's electrician time.

By the way John, The neutral and ground wires are separate. All lugs are torqued and found very little torquing to be done in both the sub and main. Thanks

Sell that inverter on eBay and buy the one in and one out version. You will lose money on the sale but it will probably be a breakeven considering a few hours of electrician time.

Hi John, from what you said you don't think I'll benefit from the two lines as far as being able to manage my use and not having to worry about popping a breaker. Like running the A/C and the microwave at the same time. Please tell me as you see it. As far as having to change out the two panels, I don't have a problem with it. I just want to know what my true benefits are going to be. This inverter will do fine on one in and one out leg. My only problem now is tracking down the feedback in the neutral line.

You aren't going to be running an air conditioner on the inverter. We put 117,000 miles on our Horizon and full-timed for a year. We rarely used the inverter, maybe once in a while we ran the microwave oven at our lunch stop. If we were boondocking we ran the generator - it would run 3 hours on a gallon of diesel.

Hi John, at this point my intentions are to run the single lead in and single lead out. My problem is the feedback on the out line to the sub panel. My friend here is sending me to a RV tech whom is proficient in the electrical on the RV. Will talk to him today to see if he can solve the problem. There is the possibility the new inverter is bad !! We'll see what he says.

Webber46. Please describe what you mean by "feedback". I've never heard of the term "feedback" being used in the context of ac power.

Hi ChasA, to answer your question on feedback is what is alluding me at this time. I'm not an electrician but do have a basic understanding. The feedback from my understanding is a power being fed back thru the neutral line ?? Maybe I'm wrong. The control panel is giving me that fault code. I called and talked to the tech rep and got no information other then I had feedback in the neutral line. No lines were touched except to disconnect from the old inverter and connect to the new. Am now thinking it may be in the new inverter. The power in line is hooked up and will handle charging the batteries, this is without hooking up the out line. As soon as I hook up the out line and turn the inverter on I get the fault code and it Shuts down.

RTM!

It explains in detail how to hook it up starting on page 41.

I believe the "feedback error" you refer to is actually "Backfeed Error" which indicates you have wired it incorrectly. It is a detection of AC power on the output leads that should not be there.

With the output of the inverter disconnected from the RV put your meter on the wires that go to the RV with alligator clips so you aren't touching them, plug in the RV, is there AC power on those wires? There should NOT be, they should be zero. If there is power on those wires when the RV is plugged into shore then you have a problem somewhere in the RV.

This unit will work as a single in single out unit, you just need to wire it properly.

I hope your electrician will sort it all out for you.

So you're using a household extension cord for shore power - I assume you have a 120V to 50 amp adapter for your shore power cord?

You need that electrician.

Yea John, the cord is a 12g and is attached to the adapter. I have an electrician Tuesday morning. Will try a few more things before then. Won't stop until it's done. Thanks for all your help!! Knowledge is great and when you don't know find those that do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom