Charge for RVIA Seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carbo3595

I was just looking at some Class C's on the internet at the RV center closest to me.  On one particular rv, there was an $80 charge for the RVIA seal.  What's up with that ???

carbo3595 said:
I was just looking at some Class C's on the internet at the RV center closest to me.? On one particular rv, there was an $80 charge for the RVIA seal.? What's up with that ???

It's a std charge put on all RV's for inspection services run by RVIA to insure the vehicle was produced to ANSI/NFPA 1192.

any reason as to the difference in prices?  according to the RVIA website, a motorhome should pay up to $94 for the seal... ... but in looking at two identical motorhomes from the same dealer, one has the RVIA charge as $181, the other as $158.

any clue?  is the manufacturer just marking this cost up .. because they can try to get more money out of you?

The RVIA has adjusted the price of their logo seal up and down over the years, mostly downward recently as they try to keep prices down when sales have been weak. For motorhomes it is currently a total of $92 ($18 for the seal itself and $74 for the Go RVing ad campaign). For trailer it is $79 and for pop-ups and truck camper it is $64.

It's been reduced a couple times in 2010-2011, but I don't think it was ever as high as $158, let alone $181. The seal portion of the fee was $35 back in 2009, so that would have made the motorhome total $109 back then (the GoRVing fee hasn't changed in past three years).

Is this fee for just the new coaches? I have the seal and last year when I bought my coach, there was never any mention of a charge for that.

Since 1984 I have purchased 14 RV's, most new, some used and never had a separate price listing for the RVIA sticker.  Sounds funny to me that a dealer is listing it as an option.  I think when I ordered a new LazyDaze in 95 they did not use RVIA, but used another outfit to certify it was built to certain standards.  Regards, Dick

It has become popular lately to show fees imposed by pothers as a separate line item in many invoices. Sort of a way to say "It's not ME that is making this so expensive". For example, my phone, electric and water bills show various local fees and taxes, sales tax is shown separate in almost any purchase, etc.etc. It also lets the seller advertise a lower price, with a "plus taxes & fees" in fine print.

One of my first Rvs was used but I found the original invoice in the papers that came with it. There was a line item for an RVIA seal for $3.00. Yes, that was a while back...

Bought a few new RV's in my days, never heard of a charge for a RVIA sticker.  :eek: I always figured it was a seal to let you know the RV meet all safety standards when built at the factory.

Scott  :)

Don't read a lot into it.  It's just the way the RVIA funds its annual operating budget. Rather than have a fixed membership fee, they charge on a production volume basis, so that small manufacturers can participate as well as larger ones.

Back
Top Bottom