Charged for air !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeater1

We took delivery of a new 2005 Minnie in OCT 05.? After several trips I had trouble keeping the house batteries charged.
Returned it to the dealer [Barber RV ] for the warranty replacement of the batteries and also to have the rigs first oil change.
Prior to picking up our rig [ after 10 days ] I asked them to check the tire and air shock pressures, as my home air compressor can barely get the job done. They said no problem.
Picking up the rig we were in a bit of a hurry so I just paid the rather large bill for the oil change and went home. Then I discovered that I was charged a $49.00 fee for checking the air pressure !!? Good grief !?
Has anyone else had that kind of robbery attempted ??
I sure hope that is not the norm for RV services.....their shop rate is high enough as it is. :mad:

Hi Jack,

That sounds like a real rip off to me. I'm guessing what they did is charge a minimum of a 1/2 hour labor rate to check the air. It makes more sense to keep a customer happy by doing the 5 minute check free. I would probably write to the company and express my dismay at such treatment.

Since this was our first vist to the dealer after purchase, it really got me. And you were right, it does look like a half hour service charge as the shop rate is $95 per hour.......

Hi Jack,

I thought that's what they might have done. I'd let the owner of the dealership know how you feel.

Irritating, but quite common. In most larger dealerships, the service area is run as a separate business and you get no freebies for having bought the RV out front. Either the sales department pays for the service you receive (and comes out of their profit & loss) or you do, but the Service Dept is going to get paid by someone.  So if you want a service that is not covered by warranty but you expect the dealership to pay for it, get the Sales Dept to request/order the service for you.  Many dealerships have a tech or two assigned to provide sales support, e.g. pre-delivery prep, minor glitches, etc. and their time/cost is allocated by Sales rather than service.

A complaint to the owner or General Manager may get the charge refunded - which means to the Service Dept that the labor is charged to an internal account for "good will" or some such thing.

Back
Top Bottom