chargiing deep cycle with genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunset

I have an Onan 7000 generator does it charge the deep celll batts when exercising it?  I have about 20 amps of load,

I would think that it would unless it was installed after market then it depends on how it was installed.  Running the Genset normally powers everything that the shore power does including the charger.

Thanks Ron

This is original equipment so it must charge then.

Thanks again

Sunset

sunset said:
I have an Onan 7000 generator does it charge the deep celll batts when exercising it?? I have about 20 amps of load,

Technically No; it has no charging capability.  The genset does power the inverter/charger if one has one and given your talking about a 7000 genset it must be a fairly big rig which would be well equipped. The charger is probably 3 stage and I suspect the 20 amp is the load imposed while its in 2nd stage of charging the batteries. Dependent upon the manufacturer, you may also  have what is called a BIRD (Bi-directional Isolator Relay Device) that first makes sure the chassis batteries are up to proper charge then opens circuit to beging charging the coach battereies.

Thanks Blueblood

It's a class A Winnebago Chieftain 36 footer, but my problem is now when I check my 2 coach batts with a hygrometer it shows no charge. Maybe both coach  batts are no good. I had the gerset running for two hrs. befor I checked them.

Thjanks again

Sunset 

Sunset,

I would check the voltage on the batteries while the genset is running.  If the batteries are discharged, the voltage should be well over 14 volts.  If not there is a problem in the charging circuit.  The inverter charger could be off, check to make sure, the charger could be bad, etc., etc.

It's a long time since I worked in a battery shop, but one thing I do remember is that a short time on any charger won't make much difference to lead/acid batteries.

My understanding and I hope others will correct me if I'm out of touch here, is that the secret to properly charging batteries is a long period of charging at three different levels as the battery charge comes up. Bottom line is that I don't believe that a genset can properly charge batteries unless run for about 24-48 hours. The three different levels, by the way are controlled by the converter/charger or inverter/charger.

Regards,
John B.

When using a generator to recharge batteries, you don't need, or want, to get them to 100% of capacity, it will take too long.  I can recharge my 440AH of AGM batteries from 50% to 80% in less than 2 hours with my Heart 3 stage charger.

Ned said:
When using a generator to recharge batteries, you don't need, or want, to get them to 100% of capacity, it will take too long.? I can recharge my 440AH of AGM batteries from 50% to 80% in less than 2 hours with my Heart 3 stage charger.

May be longer for those of us still running older inverters which have only 25 amp chargers. I suspect you have much higher charging capacity.

Leo

Yes, the Heart 20D puts out 100A in bulk charge mode. 

And the Heart 3000 has a 140A charger. I sometimes forget that older chargers deliver a lower charging current. Thanks for the reminder Leo.

That's why it's important to size the inverter/charger and batteries together.  A lot of battery capacity with a low current charger is not a good system, nor is a large inverter with insufficient batteries.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom