Charging an EV=scary stuff!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Imagine a fire like that at the gas pumps.
Any type of energy storage can be very dangerous at times. I assume every type of car made has had a few fires, no matter why they run from. Perhaps gasoline is the most dangerous of them all. And sometimes does happen at the gas pumps.

I have also heard of boats exploding right after being filled up with gasoline.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Cars at gas pumps are not parked immediately adjacent to each other, so in the unlikely event there is a fire it's less likely to spread from one car to the next as happened in this video. Parking charging cars close enough so a fire can spread from one car to the next looks like a flaw in the charging station design.

Cars at gas pumps are not parked immediately adjacent to each other, so in the unlikely event there is a fire it's less likely to spread from one car to the next as happened in this video. Parking charging cars close enough so a fire can spread from one car to the next looks like a flaw in the charging station design.
Entire gas stations have been known to catch fire from a car getting gas. Here is an example.

-Don- Auburn, CA

First: yes Lithium mines are mostly in China so that's where most of 'em are made.

Second there are large and small gas stations. Now if you have your islands layed out like this

P - P P - P

Then cars are nose to tail but if you are layed out like this
P - P P - P
C C
C C
P - P P - P

P - P P - P

You have cars side by side..Most Flying J's. Pilots. Loves TAs are like that and larger "Automotive" type gas stations as well. (I added 4 cars C for Car P for Pump)

I was wondering what they did with all those recalled Samsung phone batteries.

See here for what can happen while an EV is charging.

-Don- Auburn, CA
I don't understand the concern. Sticks and bricks houses catch fire and burn up all the time.

A poorly designed EV system in a vehicle can burn up as well.

There were a bunch of fires from Ford F150 pickup trucks burning up from some small solenoid or something in the engine compartment a few years ago. I think it was a cruise control module. As I remember a several homes burned down because the truck was parked in the garage.

Bottom line fires happen.

Probably much more danger from just driving on the highways. After some 30,000 to 40,000 people die each year on our highways. Many more thousands (hundreds of thousands??) are severely injured very year in vehicle accidents every year.

I don't understand the concern.
I am not really all that concerned. I own four EVs. Three electric motorcycles (the last three on my list of bikes below) and a Tesla Model 3.

Tesla claims their batteries are ten times less likely to cause a fire than gasoline in an ICE vehicle. It's probably true, but EVs catching fire will get a lot more attention from the news media.

But I thought it was interesting to see an EV battery catch fire and show I wanted to share it.

I wonder what type of car that was. It happened in Dongguan, which is near Shenzhen, China. Places I have been to, but well before the EV days. Shenzhen is just across the river from Hong Kong and is most likely where our computers were made that we are now using.

So I wonder what type of car that was. Most likely Chinese made. More EVs in China than anywhere else in the world.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I am not really all that concerned. I own four EVs. Three electric motorcycles (the last three on my list of bikes below) and a Tesla Model 3.

Tesla claims their batteries are ten times less likely to cause a fire than gasoline in an ICE vehicle. It's probably true, but EVs catching fire will get a lot more attention from the news media.

But I thought it was interesting to see an EV battery catch fire and show I wanted to share it.

I wonder what type of car that was. It happened in Dongguan, which is near Shenzhen, China. Places I have been to, but well before the EV days. Shenzhen is just across the river from Hong Kong and is most likely where our computers were made that we are now using.

So I wonder what type of car that was. Most likely Chinese made. More EVs in China than anywhere else in the world.

-Don- Auburn, CA

ill bet you it was stinky. We had a tablet go up in smoke. Its kind of a slow reaction but once it gets going it’s stinky as hell.

I guess EVs are okay but my KLR650 will easily pull over it's weight up hill. Me, my wife, fully loaded, no problem and go 350 miles.

I do go through lot's of tires. Other than that, just normal maintenance.

Attachments

• KLR650.jpg
    KLR650.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Other than that, just normal maintenance.
Do you mean "normal maintenance" such as adjusting valve clearances, checking and changing engine oil, oil filters, air filters, fuel filters replacing clutches, spark plugs, fuel filters, adjusting clutch cables, checking and replacing fuel lines, adjusting and sync carbs and the countless other things I do not have to even check on my electric motorcycles? :)

-Don- Auburn, CA

Do you mean "normal maintenance" such as adjusting valve clearances, checking and changing engine oil, oil filters, air filters, fuel filters replacing clutches, spark plugs, fuel filters, adjusting clutch cables, checking and replacing fuel lines, adjusting and sync carbs and the countless other things I do not have to even check on my electric motorcycles? :)

-Don- Auburn, CA

-Don- Auburn, CA
20+ years old and still going strong. I don't carry oil but I have an extra spark plug in my tool kit.

Back
Top Bottom