Charging battery with the Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElginRinger

Hello all, another question from a newbie.

I'm going to a bbq cookoff this weekend with my 77 Yellowstone TT.  I will have to depend on a generator for power. It's a Briggs and Stratton 4000 continuous/5500 surge.

While looking at my water tank, I noticed that the previous owner had used a regular tire inflator to provide pressure for the water tank. There is a toggle switch located on the the outside paneling, below a bunk bed.  Im guessing that was used to bring the power into the line and there was another switch inside, next to the tank, again, I'm guessing that was for manual control of the pump?? I'm guessing that this "pump" will need to run off battery power.  My trailer did not come with a battery. 

My questions are as follows:

1. Will a regular car battery work for this ?  The pump is the only thing I will need to run using the battery.

2. In order to charge the battery can I just plug in my normal home battery charger to the generator to charge it?

3. How much pressure should I pump into the tank. Keep in mind that the only gauge I will have is on the tire inflator pump.  It's a steel water tank.

4. I'm guessing there should be an existing line somewhere around the hitch that runs to the pump (tire inflator) to supply power. 

Yes, you probably can run the pump from a car battery, but check the plate on the pump motor to make sure it's 12 Volt. It will run o.k. from the battery charger running off the generator if the charger puts out sufficient current. 10-15 amperes or so should do it. If the pump doesn't have an automatic pressure switch, you may want to buy one from Home Depot or other store of that type, so you don't have to constantly watch and wait for the correct pressure. At the very least, install a pressure gauge in the output side of the tank. That way the needle won't be jumping all over the place with each pulse of the pump. I would suggest a maximum of 60 lbs. pressure, and perhaps less because of the age of the tank and pipes. 45 lbs. should be sufficient.

Added: Also, don't over fill the tank with water; leave about 1/3 capacity as head space for air. Otherwise, you won't be able to draw out much water before the pressure drops too low to be useful.

Karl said:
Yes, you probably can run the pump from a car battery, but check the plate on the pump motor to make sure it's 12 Volt. It will run o.k. from the battery charger running off the generator if the charger puts out sufficient current. 10-15 amperes or so should do it. If the pump doesn't have an automatic pressure switch, you may want to buy one from Home Depot or other store of that type, so you don't have to constantly watch and wait for the correct pressure. At the very least, install a pressure gauge in the output side of the tank. That way the needle won't be jumping all over the place with each pulse of the pump. I would suggest a maximum of 60 lbs. pressure, and perhaps less because of the age of the tank and pipes. 45 lbs. should be sufficient.

Added: Also, don't over fill the tank with water; leave about 1/3 capacity as head space for air. Otherwise, you won't be able to draw out much water before the pressure drops too low to be useful.

You know, now that I think about it. There is a place on the outside of the TT which has a pressure gauge next to the water inlet.  It has a valve stem cap on it similar to what you would find on a tire.  That may be where I can pressurize the tank from instead of having to disassemble the couch/bed inside the trailer.  I would think I could still use the tire inflator to do this and if the layout is good I might be able to just hook up the inflator to the truck instead of buying a battery.  Does this make sense to anyone ??  Thank you for your help.  This is a great site.

Ok, I have heard of pressurized water tank systems on RV's but I've never seen one... If there is a pump in the rig. look at it, odds are it's 12vdc but anything is possible so I'm going to echo the advice of others on that (Insert echo here) (Faster to type that way)

However if you are assuming he used an air pump because there is an adapter in the hose inlet that has an end like a tire valve stem on one side and hose threads on the other,,,, This is a blow out plug, it's only used to blow the water out of the lines when you store for the winter in cold places.

Most RV's have water pumps.

Look at the pump in your rig, tell us who made it, then we will know more  Model helps too.

John In Detroit said:
Ok, I have heard of pressurized water tank systems on RV's but I've never seen one... If there is a pump in the rig. look at it, odds are it's 12vdc but anything is possible so I'm going to echo the advice of others on that (Insert echo here) (Faster to type that way)

However if you are assuming he used an air pump because there is an adapter in the hose inlet that has an end like a tire valve stem on one side and hose threads on the other,,,, This is a blow out plug, it's only used to blow the water out of the lines when you store for the winter in cold places.

Most RV's have water pumps.

Look at the pump in your rig, tell us who made it, then we will know more? Model helps too.

There isn't a pump in the rig other than the tire inflator the prev.owner rigged to DC.  I was thinking that you could pressurize it outside because it has an inlet valve (like a tire stem) and there is a pressure gauge on it.  The only hose threads there are the ones in which I would hook up to city water with.

Ok that answers my questions then, You have an air pump inside.

If it's a 12vdc air pump then yes you can run it off a car battery.

If not, well then try this link

Cordless 1 1/2 gallon compressor/radio

This is a cordless one so you can charge it up, it One charge will pump the 1.5 gallon tank up to around 135 lbs one time with power left over (The low light is on while the pump is running but it returns to high when pressure is reached) regulator works well to control pressure.

Now: I don't like small tankless compressors (Either 12 or 120 volt) for pumping up water tanks save for one I use (It's really a fire bottle, more on that later) but this tankless one adresses my problems.  That being that pump lubricants and stuff does not mix well with water.,  The stuff I don't want in the water are most likely going to remain in the tank and can be drained out the drain cock.

Now.. I promised more on that fire bottle.

For campfire use I have a 1 1/2 gallon garden sprayer (no particular reason for that size other than it was on sale) where the pump long ago broke.  I was able to remove the pump and replace it with a test plug, epoxied the cap on so it does not leak, and (Before doing that) added a chrome valve stem (the kind used in after market chrome wheels where there is a nut that holds it in, I think the nut on mine is outside the rim so you insert from below using a valve stem fishing tool and spin the nut on from above)

Fill with water, apply air hose (Limit to around 45psi) and you have a decent fire extinguisher for class A fires (Campfires)

I have other extinguishers for other kinds of fires too,  but those you buy from Mac at the rally

That may be where I can pressurize the tank from instead of having to disassemble the couch/bed inside the trailer.  I would think I could still use the tire inflator to do this and if the layout is good I might be able to just hook up the inflator to the truck instead of buying a battery.  Does this make sense to anyone ??
I think you've nailed it down. ;)

John In Detroit said:
Ok that answers my questions then, You have an air pump inside.

If it's a 12vdc air pump then yes you can run it off a car battery.

If not, well then try this link

Cordless 1 1/2 gallon compressor/radio

This is a cordless one so you can charge it up, it One charge will pump the 1.5 gallon tank up to around 135 lbs one time with power left over (The low light is on while the pump is running but it returns to high when pressure is reached) regulator works well to control pressure.

John, thanks for the great ideas.  Do you remember the show McIver...................................  you know, the guy who made do with stuff he had when he was in a jam.  I think he welded somethin once using battery cables and a quarter.  You are reminding me of that guy.  Thanks again.

Now: I don't like small tankless compressors (Either 12 or 120 volt) for pumping up water tanks save for one I use (It's really a fire bottle, more on that later) but this tankless one adresses my problems.? That being that pump lubricants and stuff does not mix well with water.,? The stuff I don't want in the water are most likely going to remain in the tank and can be drained out the drain cock.

Now.. I promised more on that fire bottle.

For campfire use I have a 1 1/2 gallon garden sprayer (no particular reason for that size other than it was on sale) where the pump long ago broke.? I was able to remove the pump and replace it with a test plug, epoxied the cap on so it does not leak, and (Before doing that) added a chrome valve stem (the kind used in after market chrome wheels where there is a nut that holds it in, I think the nut on mine is outside the rim so you insert from below using a valve stem fishing tool and spin the nut on from above)

Fill with water, apply air hose (Limit to around 45psi) and you have a decent fire extinguisher for class A fires (Campfires)

I have other extinguishers for other kinds of fires too,? ?but those you buy from Mac at the rally

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom