Charging house battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgh_AL

This might be a dumb question . But im new to the RV world. What single component(s) are responsible for charging the house battery from the alternator while vehicle is running. This is my 92 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 454 .

Now I've owned this diamond in the ruff for a month now . And about three day later the generator Onan quit working threw a lot of parts at it to no avail .

Eventually the battery went down I put the vehicle on shore power house battery charged . Was ok for a couple days . After some research i found that the chassis was supposed to assist in charging the house battery . But it doesn't. HELP 😆

In your coaches engine compartment you should find a battery isolator. To find it follow the battery+ cable. It should lead to a block with 3 cables attached. One from the alternator, one to chassis battery and one to house battery. With the enging running you can check that you see appeox 13.5VDC at each terminal. Often the chassis battery will not be charged when parked and plugged into shore power. But again check it with a decent volt meter.

Ok does it look like something like a Ford starter solenoid ? I see something like that in the ( standing in front facing the vehicle ) far left passengers upper corner under the hood

Yes, a Pace would typically have a relay as the isolator. The relay is triggered "closed" by +12v from the ignition switch "ON" position, thus connecting the alternator output to the house battery & 12v system whenever the engine is running. The alternator is always connected to the chassis 12v system & chassis battery.

Sometimes the relay is part of a "battery control center" which manages charging such that the house (aka AUX) battery gets charged from the alternator and the chassis (aka MAIN) battery gets charged from shore power & converter module. It was that way in my 1996. Fleetwood's coaches usually had one of those.

Ok does it look like something like a Ford starter solenoid ? I see something like that in the ( standing in front facing the vehicle ) far left passengers upper corner under the hood
That should be it.

Hey thanks Buddy for that information. I just happened to have one in my hand right now . A new one I mean

I replaced the relay and my house battery still don't charge . It must have been bad because now i have the click when i push the aux button . But my house battery still don't charge .

Are you sure you replaced the correct relay? There is probably more than one and before you replace the relay, it is wise to test it with a multi meter to determine the condition.

After the batteries there could be an inline fuse that is bad. Those types of fuses are usually fairly close or in the battery area.

Are you sure you replaced the correct relay? There is probably more than one and before you replace the relay, it is wise to test it with a multi meter to determine the condition.

After the batteries there could be an inline fuse that is bad. Those types of fuses are usually fairly close or in the battery area.
The relay I replaced was indeed bad I've checked all the fuses i could find all good . I found a bad relay in the relay bank ( one of the little square one ) marked chassis i replaced that . I'LL see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom