Charleston, SC area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RV Roamer said:
...(we stayed at Outdoor Resorts Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort on the other side of the island).

That's where we are booked.  How was it?

KodiakRV said:
That's where we are booked.  How was it?

It has a lot of nice features. The roads are narrow and heavily treed so one must be alert and follow the instructions of the guy who normally guides you in. He knows just what to do to get into the sites.

RV Roamer said:
James Island Park is ALWAYS busy and I've never been able to get a site there on short notice. And sometimes not even with long notice!

They've only got 12 or so 50-amp sites.  Is that what you use?

They have ~100 30-amp sites.  The 4 days that we were there, those were less than half full while all 50-amp sites were taken.

Our site had been vacant long enough that the largest Black Widow Spider that I have seen in my life had time to build a nest with three giant egg sacks in the electrical service box.  :eek:  I've learned to be very careful about opening the boxes to hookup electricity!  :)

NCBounder said:
Definitely eat at the Anchor Line.  It is right at the bridge as you go to Folly Beach.  It is not a "table cloth and candles" kind of place,  but just the opposite.  It looks like a dump from the outside, but has some awesome local seafood.

Alas, the Anchor Line has closed down.  :'(

Jerrygroah said:
We found the A.W. Shucks resturant in down town to be reasonable and good food.
Jerry

We did eat there.  The food was good, but the first tuna steak they brought out was cooked bone dry.  When the waitress set it down she said words to the effect of, "This is a bit overdone, but if you want to eat it that's okay.  Or I can get you another one."  ???

I thought I'd add to this post as it's the one that I used to select our Charleston campground for this week's trip. As was suggested earlier, we found that 6 weeks was not enough lead time to get a site for a full week reservation at James Island, so we are staying at Oak Plantation right now.  We have family staying at Kiawah Island, and Oak Plantation is a straight shot to there.  The sites are very nice with a fair amount of shade.  The dog is particularly happy with the 1/2 acre or so dog run.  (Forcing a black lab to live without a good game of fetch is a felony in some states I believe.)  The Hess station at the corner has diesel for $2.67/gal.

The interesting thing about our visit is that the people who were in the spot next to us the first couple of nights said that they usually stay at the KOA, but it was full.  Apparently the KOA was booked with firefighters camping while attending the funerals of the 9 firefighters who lost their lives last week in the furniture store fire.  Yesterday, we drove into Charleston on 17 and were surprised when we drove right by the burned out store.  Wow, what a sight.  We recognized the store from our earlier trips to Charleston.  All I can say is that everyone in the car went completely silent.  Our hearts and our prayers go to those families.

Anyway, thanks again for the great advice.  Next camping trip is Williamsburg.

-Dave

Hey Dave, thanks for the update.  We typically stay at Oak Plantation too, and have always enjoyed it due to its spaciousness and convenience.

Our next planned trip is Williamsburg too.  I'll start another thread about it and you can respond.  I'd like to hear your plans.

Back
Top Bottom