Charleston, SC area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KodiakRV

Any recommendations on campgrounds with full hookups in the Charleston, SC area for late April or early May?  Something close enough that we could toad-in during the day to see the sites.  And comfortable enough that we could sit around, relax, read, etc...

I think you'll get several recommendations here.   Our personal favorite is Oak Plantation CG, on US 17 a few milse south of the city.  Nice, spacious, plenty of shade, level sites, it looks like it was an old farm or something years ago.  We have always had good experiences there, and if you have a reservation and arrive late, they will leave the directions to your site on the door.  There are some pictures of our trip there on our blog: www.lomaxonline.com   Just click on the Charleston and Edisto link on the left side of the first page. There are also some more pictures on our Dotphoto.com Link.

Others may recommend the James Island County Park.  We have not stayed there but a search will find it and it always comes highly recommended.

Charleston is a great place with many good restaurants, lots of history, and plenty to walk around and see.  Also, take the River Road to see one of the plantations ,or head down to Edisto Beach for a day or to camp.  Be sure to make reservations if you are going to camp at Edisto as they tend to fill up well in advance.

Have fun!

If you are a Passport America member Lake Aire RV Park in Hollywood, SE of Charleston is a PA park.

mfa said:
Any recommendations on campgrounds with full hookups in the Charleston, SC area for late April or early May?  Something close enough that we could toad-in during the day to see the sites.  And comfortable enough that we could sit around, relax, read, etc...

The KOA in Mt Pleasant on Hwy 17N is a good facility as is James Island County Park. 

mfa said:

James Island County Park. Packed a bit tight, but lovely park, shuttle in to Charleston, great walking paths.

We have used Lake Aire several times and also Oak Plantation, which is a few miles down the road from Lake Aire and a bit closer to the city. Easy drive from either, straight in an US 17. Thereare also shopping and restaurants on that side of town.

I have stayed at several parks in the area and James Island gets my vote as the best. Easy to get to the beach and into downtown for the attractions. You will need to reserve early because that is a very busy time of the year in Charleston. Take your bikes because the trails are exceptional. Beautiful area and good time of the year to go.

Thanks for all the responses!  It's a tough choice, but we had to pick just one.  We made reservations for James Island County Park.

Good choice Frank,
I lived on James Island for two years while I was going to culinary school. There are some great areas on that side of Charleston. Most people like Downtown Charleston or the Mount Pleasant, area but the southern side of Charleston is the better side. Make sure you go out to the old coast guard base at Folly Beach and take a look at Morris Lighthouse. Drive over to Johns Island and go to a small little fishing village called Rockport. Also many of the Old Rice Plantations are on the southern side of Charleston. These are the gems of the area, not being packed into the old slave market on Market St. with a bunch of other tourists as people try to sell you Tshirts and cheap Jewelry. Don't get me wrong, Downtown has some great old Architecture. Walk the old allyways down by the Battery. You can feel the history in the old cobblestone streets. If you need restaurant suggestions let me know.
John

chef john said:
Good choice Frank,
... If you need restaurant suggestions let me know.
John

Thanks for the informative response!

Do you have any restaurant suggestions on James Island?

Definitely eat at the Anchor Line.  It is right at the bridge as you go to Folly Beach.  It is not a "table cloth and candles" kind of place,  but just the opposite.  It looks like a dump from the outside, but has some awesome local seafood.

Nothing really special on James Island as far as restaurants go, but I do have a suggestion. There is a place called Bowmans Island. It is a dirt road off of Folly Road on the way to Folly Beach. It will be on the right, about 2 or 3 miles down pass the Applebee's. It is in every sense of the word a true Oyster shack. This is a step back into time, and a real experience. Nothing fancy, but the food is great.

We stayed at the James Island County Park and it was great.  They have a shuttle into Charleston that only takes a few minutes, or you can drive into the city with minimal trouble.  Don't skip touring the Charleston Tea Plantation on Wagamalaw Island.  You're half way there if you stay at this park, and on the way to the Tea Plantation (the only tea plantation in the N. American continent), take in Angel Oak believed to be 1400 years old.  There are nice walking trails throughout the county park.

Finally heading out on this one at the end of the week.  Also, a pre-stop at Hilton Head and a post-stop at Jekyll Island, two days each.

Any final recommendations/suggestions for restaurants and touristy stuff?

We were in Hilton Head just recently. There are many excellent restaurants, but we found the Homeport to be our favorite. Great water front location and outstanding food at reasonable prices.

If you stay at the Hilton Head Marina & RV Resort, there is a restaurant at the marine that gets excellent reviews, but we did not go there (we stayed at Outdoor Resorts Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort on the other side of the island).

RV Roamer said:
We were in Hilton Head just recently. There are many excellent restaurants, but we found the Homeport to be our favorite. Great water front location and outstanding food at reasonable prices.

If you stay at the Hilton Head Marina & RV Resort, there is a restaurant at the marine that gets excellent reviews, but we did not go there (we stayed at Outdoor Resorts Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort on the other side of the island).
[/quote

Shucks ! You went right by my house and didn't stop and you could have camped for $20/night full hookups at the CG I manage for Sun City Hilton Head Boat and RV Club. ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom