Cheap handling fix with adjustable links?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those plates are are not the same as the original, as designed and made by the IRV2 forum member, Tejay. His had an offset from top to bottom so as not to offset the line between the SB and Links. I doubut the offset will bother anything but just be aware - there will be some side force on the links.

Those plates are are not the same as the original, as designed and made by the IRV2 forum member, Tejay. His had an offset from top to bottom so as not to offset the line between the SB and Links. I doubut the offset will bother anything but just be aware - there will be some side force on the links.
These also offset to account for the plate thickness. That's what the "100 ton press" is for. Perhaps the photos don't show it well enough unless blown up. The links line up properly.

You're a sample of one. The warnings advising against crawling beneath a MH up on leveling jacks are for those who aren't so reassured by anecdotal accounts of "I did it and survived so that means it's perfectly safe for everyone".
It think it should be clearly obvious to anyone contemplating working under their motorhome whether raising it a few inches with the jacks presents a danger or not. If there's sufficient room for ones body under the coach without the jacks, then clearly there's no danger when the jacks add a few more inches of clearance for convenience. In addition, even if a jack fails the coach will remain partially elevated supported by the opposing jack. The odds of both jacks in an axle or side pair failing would be extremely small. Probably somewhere on the order of jack stand failures, which I have seen. As has been said from the start, we're assuming the wheels are attached of course. The bottom line though, is if you're not confident in your safety in any situation, then by all means take the necessary steps to insure your safety.

I’m 6’3”, 235lbs. Not a small guy.
I can crawl and slide all around under my Georgetown with no trouble when the jacks are up.
Today, the jacks were down enough to level the rig on my home slab and I did the CHF on the rear axle with plenty of room to move around.
If all four jacks had spontaneously retracted, I would still have plenty of room to not only finish the job, but to also be able to crawl out from under the rig.

How fat are you guys?

It think it should be clearly obvious to anyone contemplating working under their motorhome whether raising it a few inches with the jacks presents a danger or not. If there's sufficient room for ones body under the coach without the jacks, then clearly there's no danger when the jacks add a few more inches of clearance for convenience. In addition, even if a jack fails the coach will remain partially elevated supported by the opposing jack. The odds of both jacks in an axle or side pair failing would be extremely small. Probably somewhere on the order of jack stand failures, which I have seen. As has been said from the start, we're assuming the wheels are attached of course. The bottom line though, is if you're not confident in your safety in any situation, then by all means take the necessary steps to insure your safety.
What's obvious and clear is the manufacturer says not to do it.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, the manufacturer's lawyers say not to do it.
The manufacturer's lawyers for Reese say not to pull more than 5,000 lbs. with their 5,000 lb receiver hitch. Michelin's lawyer had them put a max pressure 120 lbs on the sidewall of my MH tires. Ford's lawyers say I can't load more than 12,000 lbs on the rear axle and no more than 6,000 lbs on the front axle of my MH. Jayco's lawyers say I can't exceed a GCVWR of 23,000 lbs. You can however hitch a 10,000 trailer to your 5,000 lb. hitch, inflate the tires to 140 lbs, overload both axles and go cross country on that MH with a GCVWR of 30,000 lbs. You can also crawl underneath it with the jacks deployed and no jack stands. Because it's all just lawyer talk?

Last edited:
That depends on the coach, Wally. I can't fit under mine (nor under my previous coach, a Beaver) when the bags are aired down, which happens anytime that I extend the levelers -- it dumps the air first -- and in any case over time. So while that may be true on many gassers, it's less likely to be true on a DP.

Care is needed on things like this.
All my coaches have been gas, so no air suspension. That's a whole 'nother can 'o worms and I'd trust the hydraulic levelers before I'd trust the air bags.
I'm talking on my gas, leaf sprung coach, or even my older P30. I can/could crawl completely under both of them without them being raised on the levelers at all. I just use the levelers to gain a few additional inches to move around in and don't even raise it high enough to hang the front wheels in the air. If my levelers were to fail I could still crawl out from under the thing. Now, if I was doing more than changing the oil or the fuel filter that would be a different story. The minute the wheels come off, the jack stands come out. Heck, I can even change the oil in my Jeep without lifting it off the ground.

I'm talking on my gas, leaf sprung coach, or even my older P30. I can/could crawl completely under both of them without them being raised on the levelers at all. I just use the levelers to gain a few additional inches to move around in and don't even raise it high enough to hang the front wheels in the air.
I recognize that, Wally -- I just felt a caution is needed for some who might read that.

The Verdict - Success

We're back from our first trip after the modifications. The road into the park had significant undulations, a good test. It didn't bother me before, but now there is much less side-to-side motion. An unexpected bonus is I'm much more able to drive one-handed on good road. So I'd say we have a major improvement in stability.
- Deb

I did the rear sway bar only before the current trip. I see the concern on the front bar of the links “going over” and think that I will get longer drag links first.
The mod on the rear bar is definitely noticeable. I can feel more roll stability on the road. I do believe that I will get longer drag links and do the front bar, too.

Back
Top Bottom