CHEAP tips/mod Fix that 12 volt ceiling fan that shuts off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewd

I have an 11 year brushed armature ceiling fan that would shut down after running for several minutes.  Since the JY12V, DC12V Wall Switch for Brush DC12V Ceiling Fan controller was getting hot and shutting it off, I assumed the controller was bad.  I purchased a new controller from amazon and while it worked better-fan ran twice as long before overheating and shutting down the controller- I realized it was the fan motor.

The switch manufacturer has an insert that comes with the new controller that states that the cause of fan shutting down was often, not the switch, but carbon brush wear material increasing friction and resistive loads to the controller causing it to overheat and shutdown and stated that a new replacement fan was often indicated instead of a new switch.

Anyway, I removed and disassembled the motor on the ceiling fan.  Yes, there was some carbon brush material inside of the housing but I didn't think it was enough to cause my problem; I was wrong.

I cleaned out the carbon, flipped the brushes (they were about 1/4 worn), polished the armature, and added a drop of oil into the top and bottom motor bearings and reassembled everything.  Well, fan has now been running for 4 hours at full speed and is working perfectly again.

Disassembly is fairly straightforward.  Remove everything you can and put it back together the same way.  Installing the armature onto the brushes was not  difficult because I was able to pull back the wire spring that pressed the brushes against the armature back and lock them out of their slot so they allowed me to insert the brushes into their housing without having to fight brush spring tension.  On other motors with a different spring tensioner setup, I used dental floss run across the brushes to prevent them from pressing against the armature when putting things back together.

I am very happy and wanted to share this mod that cost me about an hour of time and a little amount of spray cleaner and saved me from having to buy a new fan.

Attachments

• Fan 1.jpg
    Fan 1.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Fan Brush Spring.jpg
    Fan Brush Spring.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Fan armature installed.jpg
    Fan armature installed.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 16
Sounds like a satisfying DIY project - thanks for sharing

Perfect!b I used to race RC cars, so I got quite good at disassembling, cleaning and re-assembling motors. I keep our home oscillating fans running silky smooth and many other electric devices. Feels good to repair an item for nothing but a little time!  :))

Still running strong all day today.  For the new wall switch (3 speeds and reverse), I drilled some holes in  its box and then installed 2 micro CPU cooling fans to prolong its life.  The fans are controlled by a separate well switch and can't be heard.

I think I'm going to eventually replace the bearings.  I'm getting a little squeaking sound when fan is on spinning counter-clockwise but no noise when spinning clockwise. 

Having my ceiling fan back is awesome!  I have a 30 foot 5th wheel with one air conditioner and the fan really circulates airflow around to make it very comfortable!

I appreciate the detailed steps you shared for disassembling and reassembling the motor.
The member you are replying to - Drewd - hasn't been on the forum since June 2019. Just in case you were expecting a response. :cool:

It's incredible what a little DIY know-how can achieve. Cleaning out the carbon, flipping the brushes, and giving the motor a good once-over was definitely a smart move. And the fact that it's been running perfectly for 4 hours now is a testament to your skills. Thanks for sharing this mod! It might save others from having to buy a new fan too. If you're ever on the lookout for wood ceiling fan suppliers, they could have some insights into fan maintenance and more. Keep up the awesome DIY work, and who knows what else you might tackle next?

Back
Top Bottom