Check my thinking on this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sollly

OK, The new rig is home. I haven't had a chance to get it in a parking lot yet, but here are some initial observations.

When I put the slider back the extended pin box comes real close to the tailgate and looks as though it will hit in a turn or uneven ground.

It also appears as though the pin box will contact my bed cover rails which extend into the bed an inch or so.

The trailer sits almost level now. I have about 9" of clearance from top of bed rails to under side of trailer.

Right now my 5th wheel hitch is at the maximum height it can be and allow me to close the bed cover.

My thinking is that I am going to have to raise the hitch and lower the pin box to achieve the clearance and maintail a level trailer. Any thoughts?

Also, what are the torque requirements for most pin box extension bolts?

Thanks
Rob

If you are worried about the 5er hitting the tail gate when backing into a parking spot, why not just remove the Tailgate after sliding the hitch back (you should have enough room, though it will be a 2 person job) and re-install after unhooking (orjust before sliding back foreward)?

John In Detroit said:
If you are worried about the 5er hitting the tail gate when backing into a parking spot, why not just remove the Tailgate after sliding the hitch back (you should have enough room, though it will be a 2 person job) and re-install after unhooking (orjust before sliding back foreward)?

I will do that if necessary. I would probably rather raise the hitch for clearance and remove the hitch head if I need to close the bed cover. Removing the hitch head is easier than removing the tailgate ;D

I'm shocked that the pin box can hit the side rails if you have 9" of clearance. Never heard of such a problem. Hopefully some current fifth wheel owners will comment further.

Ditto for hitting the tailgate, though I can see how the slide might affect that i fit drops back far enough.  Maybe get one of those notched tailgates designed for towing?.

RV Roamer said:
I'm shocked that the pin box can hit the side rails if you have 9" of clearance. Never heard of such a problem. Hopefully some current fifth wheel owners will comment further.

Me too. I haven't been out to the parking lot yet and tested her, but it looks to close for comfort. My bed cover hangs into the bed about 1.5" which doesn't help.

Ditto for hitting the tailgate, though I can see how the slide might affect that i fit drops back far enough.? Maybe get one of those notched tailgates designed for towing?.

I will if I have to :)

Thanks for the replies fella's

I have 5" of clearance from the camper to the top of the bed rails and if my kingpin hitch were to slide all the way back it woud just barely hit the top of the tail gate; so I would think with 9" you will have very little worry about hitting your tailgate. The slider hitches can help when you need to make very tight turns while backing up; but it doesn't mean you have to use them everytime. Sounds to me like you might be the postion of chosing whether to use it when backing up depending on the site and approach.
As others have said removing your tailgate or swapping to a 5th wheel tailgate could also fix your problem.
If you can avoid going higher I would; I don't think raising the center of gravity on a camper ever helps when towing; and you spend a lot more time going down the road then backing into a site... or at least you should ;)

MTRancher said:
I have 5" of clearance from the camper to the top of the bed rails and if my kingpin hitch were to slide all the way back it woud just barely hit the top of the tail gate; so I would think with 9" you will have very little worry about hitting your tailgate. The slider hitches can help when you need to make very tight turns while backing up; but it doesn't mean you have to use them everytime. Sounds to me like you might be the postion of chosing whether to use it when backing up depending on the site and approach.
As others have said removing your tailgate or swapping to a 5th wheel tailgate could also fix your problem.
If you can avoid going higher I would; I don't think raising the center of gravity on a camper ever helps when towing; and you spend a lot more time going down the road then backing into a site... or at least you should ;)

Sounds like I need to just get a little more road time in before I start changing stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom