Check the caulk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Over the years, I've read the warnings from others here to check the caulking around roof attachments on your RV. Our coach is a little over 2 years old, so I wasn't too concerned about it. But, while on the roof of our coach recently, Terry Brewer pointed out that the caulk around our bathroom skylight was starting to crack.

I resigned myself to re-sealing all roof-mounted/caulked items, which essentially means vents and skylights. I also figured I'd take a few photos in the hope they'll help others. The old caulk was removed using a scraper and the residual was cleaned up with acetone. The new caulk - Dicor self leveling caulk - was applied with a caulking gun.

I've recently become a fan of Eternabond tape, originally mentioned in the forum some years ago by Fred Thomas, so I ordered a roll from Best Materials. I'm currently waiting for the Dicor to cure before covering it with 4" wide Eternabond, which should provide a seal that will last for years to come.

Next job is to re-seal the roof vents.

Attachments

• Removing caulk.JPG
    Removing caulk.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 204
  • Scraping tool.JPG
    Scraping tool.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 174
  • Cleaned up.JPG
    Cleaned up.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 169
  • new caulk.JPG
    new caulk.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 198
Just a suggestion. Instead of using acetone (very high evaporation rate), use either Xylol(Toluol) or Xylene(Toluene) for cleanup. Both evaporate at a much slower rate allowing more time to soften the old caulk, and are easier on the hands.

Modified: Please DO NOT use MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone). Very bad for the lungs and the rest of the body.

Thanks Karl. I noticed the high evaporation rate when I was perched on the roof of the coach in the Az sun  ;D

Forgot to mention that I used a rag dampened with acetone for the cleanup - just in case anyone misread my prior message.

I'm no expert, Tom, but before using Eternabond tape to seal the front cap of our rig I was advised to get rid of all the old caulking and not to re-caulk because the Eternabond will not stick (well?) to products with silicone in them.

I see you've re-caulked and I gather you are going to use Eternabond.  Hence my comment.

Ciao,

Doug

Hi Doug and thanks for the comment. I'm not really concerned if the Eternabond doesn't adhere to the caulk. The 4" tape is wide enough to overlap onto the skylight and the roof - similar to the way I taped over the satellite roof mount (see pic - sorry, it's not very clear). So the tape will act as a first-level seal; Anything that gets past the tape will be kept out by the caulk.

BTW Dicor self-leveling caulk is not silicone.

Attachments

• tape.jpg
    tape.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 116
Tom,

When you get done with the tape, if you have about 10' left over, I need some!!? VBG

There are some? places the 2" stuff is just not adequate!!? :-((

LOL Jim, if I have any left over, I first need to repay Terry for his tape that I borrowed. Hopefully I'll still have some left when we get to Moab. I agree about the 2" tape  ;D

BTW folks might not have noticed the price at Best Materials is significantly less than Camping World and their rolls are longer.

Tom,

There are several places on the web to get Eternabond.  I got mine at Big Rock Supply as it was cheapest there when I bought but others have since bought elsewhere cheaper as the prices do vary from time to time.  VBG

ALL were cheaper than CW and with longer rolls!  VBG

Right now I am beginning to look for a central vacuum as CWs price is almost 2X the manufacturers suggested retail!

Thanks for keeping me in mind.  It is still too cold to work on the MH outside but I am getting the inside done and also the house.  We have had a couple of nibbles but no offers yet.  :-((

Tom,

The 4" tape is wide enough to overlap onto the skylight and the roof

Ah yes, 4" tape: I do think it's the way to go.  That's what I used (well the mechanic who did the job used it) on sealing my front cap, even though he had cleaned off all the old caulking.  My principle was that I wanted a seal, not necessarily pretty.

Ciao,

Doug

Stop the presses on Best Materials - the package didn't arrive. Doing some research this morning (Best is closed on Saturdays), they apparently gave UPS the wrong address and UPS delivered to yet another address. I've asked Best via email to send a replacement and I've started the process with UPS. Meanwhile, I'm tapeless!

Ouch.  The shipper will probably have to deal with UPS.  Guess they couldn't figure a way to damage tape so they lost it. ;D :mad: :mad:

After receiving my email, Best Materials called me on Monday to apologize and offered to ship a replacement roll to our home. Sure nough, it arrived safely today. Full marks to Best Materials for a prompt recovery.

Tom said:
After receiving my email, Best Materials called me on Monday to apologize and offered to ship a replacement roll to our home. Sure nough, it arrived safely today. Full marks to Best Materials for a prompt recovery.

I just ordered a roll of 4 inch tape from Best Materials and it arrived yesterday in record time via UPS..

Bob

Congratulations Bob. My first roll was delivered in record time (the next day), just to the wrong address  ;D  After speaking with them on the phone (they called me), I was convinced they're a good outfit to deal with.

I think it would be tough to remove. But maybe with a good caulk remover &/or acetone?

Mine is enroute to our daughter's in Illinois.

Tom, did you negotiate your commission first? 8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom